Sunday, July 13, 2008

Memories unlimited



This is to continue from where I last stopped.In my life, the biggest decisions have been taken in split seconds( So now I know that if something is taking unusually long, it's not meant to be!) My decision to take up Engineering in a city far away was one of those. I was way too excited about pursuing something that had brilliant job prospects.(Of course I now know what the truth is!! Hope floats- of a better tomorrow) Living life on my own terms was exhilarating. Things kept getting better with every passing year. I met so many wonderful people and a lot of old friends who taught me invaluable lessons. I treasure each of them without an exception today. The protective environment at home can never prepare you for the harsh realities of life. Hostel life inculcates in you the survival instinct. The feeling that if you don't take care of yourself, no one else will.

When we have something in our life, we don't value it. We see it's importance once it isn't with us anymore. I used to cringe every time I had to deal with a difficult situation or a person at the hostel not knowing that it would be situations like these which would shape the individual I am today.

I've had all kinds of room mates. I've had a problem with two kinds. Type One: Who need the fan at full speed even in winters(I'm the kind who develops a sore throat whenever it's a wee bit colder than what I'm comfortable with). Type Two: Who don't sleep when the whole world( read me) sleeps for whatever legitimate reason ,like talking away over the phone, or to a neighbor, or if nothing else put on the music because they have work to do( Awesome! I've always been so out of work).But very strangely, if I run into either of these kinds today, I will tell them how much I miss being with them(and that will be a direct dil- se!). And then after some searching I found type three. People who worked hard and partied harder.Intellectuals who knew how to have fun. We had the craziest times together. We did a lot of whacked out things like scaring away hopeless room-mates so they'd change their room( Gosh I don't believe we actually did that!), making a mouth watering dinner of egg dishes and sandwiches and having it with coke over a movie which had no story right till the last frame, going in for an extreme makeover (The girly things that transform you into a diva), listening to music (at full volume) till the wee hours of morning (and getting complaints from the neighbors asking us to behave ourselves and turn down the volume), trying to get a peek of the next door neighbor and speculating on his/her relationship status! and teasing people silly about the special someone they were discovered to be in conversation with. The list is indeed endless and memories unlimited...

1 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Unknown said...

I feel so good after reading yr blog....those good old days....n u make excellent egg bhurji ;)

Those lovely memories....plz keep writing....?I jus love reading wat u write :)