Monday, March 30, 2009

Harbinger of smiles and hope

It is such a common sight in India. Your vehicle stops at a red light and a whole bunch of people approach you for a little bit of help. Infants, toddlers, young and old. They keep tapping your window until it becomes increasingly hard to ignore them. One look at them, and your heart melts away. You're often reprimanded for giving in, since it is a habit with them. I agree. It just might be a habit with them. But I'm sure if someone would employ them, they wouldn't have to do what they're doing. I am sure it's not fun doing that. They say it is all organized and movies like Slumdog Millionaire just publicize it. It just might be.  I don't know. But in the freak case that it isn't, someone will sleep on an empty stomach because you were biased against that community and others thought just like you and didn't give in. Or gave too little. This isn't asking you to donate your hard earned money. Just a perspective.


Today I was eating at an insanely and hideously expensive place. I was served so much food that I had trouble finishing it. My stomach groaned at the sight of a next spoon, but I was in no mood to relent. That is when the thought struck me that I am just so fortunate to have more food on my platter than I can eat. And there are people who can't even manage one square meal per day. How bad it must feel to sleep hungry. Really request people for help and be ignored. For no fault of yours. 

When I was young, I was taught a hymn in school which said 
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done."

We are really fortunate to be wherever we are. Because this is living proof that it could be far worse! One of my collegues once remarked that he keeps aside a part of his salary to give away to the needy. He says his father told him that " The needy have a share in what you earn". I think that it is so beautiful to be doing your bit for society. It gives you so much, and this is your humble way of giving back to them. No spotlights on you. No articles written in praise of you. A little help from you which might make a world of a difference to someone you don't even know. It would be so heartening to see one of them grow up to gain a respectable job somewhere and make his/her family proud and get them out of the sad situation. You might choose to disagree with me, but that's alright. The amount of money the rich and famous spend at the Indian Premier League or elections could be so much better utilised if it was  given away to people who really need them. But that's life. Let's be a harbinger of smiles. To those to whom life has dealt a tough set of cards.

15 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Sparkling said...

It is still my favourite hymn and this is one of those few times when I sing the loudest in church - that's what my sis tells me! :)

Yes, we are indeed fortunate and it hurts when it's not the case for everyone. I guess it's easier to say that's life but I guess it shouldn't b like this. Well, we can only do as much as we can.

Had a crab salad after reading your post.

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Sorry but I beg to differ here. Though I definitely agree on the part that we are the fortunate ones and we must thank the lord for this but at the same time, have you ever tried to see the other side of picture. If you offer a job or a better option than what they are doing, how many of them will agree on that. I regularly see such people where you offer them a job but they will not be willing to do that. They find begging easier than a day of hard work. If you tell them that okay, you clean my car or work as a peon or helping hand at my place and earn a salary and of course somewhat better social status, most of them will say "no" to it. And, even if they will say "yes", they will either run away in some time or betray your trust to an extent where you will never want to give it another shot. If you are saying that we must help the needy by contributing, then in a way you are actually encouraging this practice. If they are getting their living easily by just spreading the hand, why will they work? Not all of them are same but most of them are like that only. You tell them to work and they will never be in seen again.

And, I am not just preaching, this is my personal experience more than once..

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Its said, that there is so much unemployment but actually the truth is that the people are not willing to work.. I always see that finding the man power is most difficult task anywhere. Even if you are offering them more money than they deserve, they will not be willing to work. Every body wants either the easy form of money or overnight success and money.. nobody wants to burn the midnight oil for that success.

todays writer said...

Its good to know that you are sensitive to the pain of these people.

But I prefer making them earn their bread.
We are fortunate enough to belong to a well to do strata. But we reached here after a lot of hard work. And i really feel one must work hard to achieve anything in life. Like its said "Give a man fish and he will eat for a day, but teach him to fish and he will never go hungry again"

sammythewizzy said...

that is exactly how I feel.. I hate stopping at traffic lights because of this.. Its especially worse when on a bike (atleast in a car you can somehow ignore them).. And sometimes it makes you feel awful for not having helped the genuine ones.. It is true that we need to help others, but how do we know who is fooling us.. I'm still confused..

btw.. Count your blessings is one of my favourite songs

Tranquility Speaks said...

SCATTERED THOUGHTSWell I haven't tried offering them jobs or seen them being offered jobs. I agree that some of them might see this as the easier option, but with them, I am sure, there are those who aren't faking it and genuinely need help.

But since you have experience, I will give it to you and accept your perspective sir

TODAY'S WRITER I totally agree with that saying. They ideally should be working somewhere but many of them don't for reasons best known to them. I was just referring to those who genuinely need our help and attention and go ignored because they co-exist with those who can mighty well do something worthier to earn their living

SAMMYTHEWIZZY I am confused too all the times, so I give them all a benefit of doubt :-)

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :-)

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING: I can literally imagine you to be the loudest singer :-) Just goes to show how much you mean what you're saying :-)

I so agree with you. It shouldn't be that way at all. And I've no clue why we choose a life of hardships.

I've still to digest the rich and heavy food I ate that day!

Sparkling said...

(Please forgive me for this)

ST: Bacchey (read Ms. Speaks) ki jaan leyga kya? :p

All we were asked to do was count our blessings :)

;)

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING: I swear it!! I freaked out completely after I saw all these comments!! Just didn't know how to react! Phew!

Let's just do as it pleases us!!

Prakhar said...

luvd the hymn...so true and so beautiful...

and I totally and completely agree with you...giving back to the society will definitely take our nation forward and I just want to add that sometimes..our time is more than our money ..and if we can donate a little bit of that...it not only helps others..but also gives us immense satisfaction.

And a final thought...lets practice what we preach.

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Stillness - yeah.. I agree on that needy bit and infact I wrote some thing about it here :)

http://wobblebubble.blogspot.com/2008/08/money-talks-baby.html

oh and I hope I didnt really freak you out ;)

still thinking - ha ha ha ha.. you know me, dont you !! :D

Tranquility Speaks said...

PRAKHAR The hymn sure is beautiful! Reminds us to never take for granted what we've been blessed with. Which if we see from the eyes of the less fortunate, is a lot!

I agree with you. Sometimes, all that someone wants from us, is our time. So true! Hope life gives all of us an opportunity to practice what we know is our hearts is true!

SCATTERED THOUGHTS You murder someone, and then ask if it hurt ;-)

Sparkling said...

Touché :)

Ms. Speaks: Thou shalt not freak in life anytime, whatever reasons ;)

ST: I know you dear and I know you feel strongly about things (I truly like that abt you), you just gave another perspective, albeit tangent ;)

None of my business here, over and out! Plz don't say that loud!

Still goes home...

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING: :D Shall try and not freak as much as I do :D

Scattered Thoughts... said...

so.. if it hurts ;)) looking forward to your next post..


still - //None of my business here, over and out! Plz don't say that loud!

Still goes home...//

guess you did check that bar below :P