Reams of newsprint is dedicated to it. Endless number of discussions center around it.But that is where it stops. Somehow, for some strange reason, nothing can be done about it. It might be a very pessimistic and defeatist way of looking at it, but the world is really going to the dogs.
The other day I was in conversation with this middle aged lady who said and I quote "All that I want from life is to work peacefully, spend time with my family and then gradually die. I want to live and let live. But some people have made it their business to wreck havoc in other people's lives. I don't understand what joy it gives them to see someone unhappy. No one wants to be helping anyone these days. They simply don't have the time. I must have been sleeping when morals disappeared from our country. I don't know when this happened but it's not a very happy situation to be in". Another gentleman told me that he makes sure he doesn't read the daily news, because it depresses him.
Just what the heck is happening! Not just in this country but the world over! Here we are at the threshold of general elections and have advertisements screaming out to us asking us to cast our vote. A wonderful initiative. But when the choice is between one crook or the other, how do you choose? In- pin-safety pin? Or maybe check who's past is less tainted? Their promises are as hollow as their morals. Had they been real, this country would have been a lot more prosperous than what it is today. Had those promises been real, people wouldn't be dying of hunger. A vast majority wouldn't go jobless. The crime rate wouldn't have been so high.
It truly is a dance of democracy. Someone tries to genuinely do some good, and there are ten others waiting to oppose his move. Some headless guy makes a controversial speech which the whole world pooh-poohs, but there is still a powerful man equally insane, who supports this good for nothing goon whole heartedly. I mean, have these people in power taken complete leave of their senses or what! What are they going to do with all the wealth anyways? How many pairs of shoes, or bundles of local currency will they manage to take with them when they die? Which brings up another vital question. How do people live without their conscience? So many of them can't be confirmed psychopaths for sure. The truly educated people, who can actually make a difference are apprehensive about joining the fray. Kudos to ladies like Meera Sanyal who have the nerve to quit a perfectly wonderful job and think about entering politics. And a stark contrast are women politicians who are against growth in their state. Whose sole motive in life is to somehow become the Prime Minister of their country. And you'd think that women are sensitive nurturers.
Someone attacks are country and we rush to the West to help us out of the crisis. And the West clearly washes their hands off the matter. Because no one wants to play with fire. Despite knowing everything the West generously gives away millions and millions in aid to a country which is the breeding ground of terrorism. With an aim of keeping the terrorist activities confined to Asia, Afghanistan and Iraq. So much to keep yourself safe huh!
And then we have those uneducated morons who think that the world at large is conspiring against annihilating their community. So what do they do? They kill people in cold blood. They blow up buildings. They target innocents. They target the growing sectors. They bring everyone and everything to a grinding halt. And then stupidly enough take responsibility for the action. And they are still at large. Drone attacks or none. Recession or no recession. They are hiring. Lots of vacancies exist. Exasperating isn't it.
Why am I ruining your weekend this way really. When nothing else makes sense, why try and make sense of nonsense. Why not take a break from reality, bond with nature and people who understand us best. Watch the shows we abhor so much. Crib about the quality of shows they produce these days. And reminisce about the days of yore when the sole Television channel that this country could boast of churned out shows people of my age still remember. And still love to catch reruns of whenever they can. When there is no way out, there just might be an escape!

2 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
Why the comment moderation? I'm surprised!
Btw, how can you write two posts in a single day? Absolutely amazing :)
Yes, this is exactly the world we are in. I don't know if we can change the whole world at large but perhaps, we can just start with ourselves and do the right thing from the wrong. I don't know if I'm making sense, but I guess we can't just complain we just have to pick and chose the lesser evil. I know it's a sad state!
STILL THINKING Moderation because I was expecting to see something I didn't want to see. Have taken it off now.
My blog is on the verge of closing down due to paucity of topics. This is in a bid to keep it alive and kicking :)
I agree. We have to be the change we want to see!
I wasn't making profound sense either!
Post a Comment