Monday, March 23, 2009

Mistakes,Trust and other things

We've all made too many wrong mistakes at some point in our lives or the other. But they say that "Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time." 


The question is (I've a penchant for asking questions in this space, don't I !), how do you differentiate between not repeating mistakes and plain paranoia? When you're thrown in an identical situation with a different set of players, what do you do? There is bound to be a blast from the past. No denying that. But do you shy away from the game because the last time round the players played foul, or do you play it in the true spirit of the game? When the game in question is called Life?

It all boils down to trust. What do you go by? I'd say a combination of gut feeling and pure logic. Something that defies logic, can more often than not, be distrusted. If you've lost big time in the past, it's hugely uncomfortable even thinking of playing that game again. But life is not about giving up. It never was. Oscal Wilde once said "Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes". They teach you so much and more often than not you emerge a new and improved you. You committed them because at some point in time, you truly believed in them. You got what you wanted, but it didn't quite turn out right. You cooked something with great gusto, but it turned out outright pathetic and unpalatable. But now atleast you know what ingredients spoil the show and what enhances the flavor manifold. "You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space"

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. " said Mother Teressa once and isn't that just so true! But when you cease trusting, you cease living. When you first tripped and fell, you didn't give up walking. Because you trusted yourself that you could do it. With great trust comes great responsibility. For your actions. For all the consequences that it brings along. For everything that turns right, for everything that goes wrong. It was you and you alone. But your belief in yourself keeps you going. When the whole world gives up on you. When your own don't support you. Someone once said "Someone who thinks the world is always cheating him is right. He is missing that wonderful feeling of trust in someone or something." You lead a miserable existance when you can't trust. Distrust always dispels peace of mind. We will continue to make mistakes. New and improved.But like I always say, if it didn't kill you, it was only to make you stronger!

13 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Sparkling said...

Trust in oneself is fine. It is most of the time your raison d'ĂȘtre.
But trust in others is a wee bit difficult (especially for once bitten twice shy ppl...lol!) and needs to be won. But then, no relationship can ever reach its pinnacle (or be complete) without trust and this I know too well.

There's something abt mistakes I heard somewhere and I kinda agree: Make it once and it's fine, it becomes a part of one of your experiences. Make the same mistake twice and you're nothing but a fool :)

P.S: I'm a big fool :D

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING:You're right about that Ma'm. Trust in others has to be won.It is something others earn. What I was referring to was the first step we have to take from our side,so that we are free from biases and receptive to the person and situation the way it is without anything else coloring our perspective.

They should change it really. I've made the same mistakes too many times. Till I just grew tired of it all :-) The people who repeat mistakes aren't really fools. Probably they are just gullible and all too trusting and forgiving! And I disagree. You ain't a fool.No ma'm. Not you!

Nema said...

I've had this feeling for a while, that I cannot trust anyone no more..because I never felt that anyone would do bad things to the other person.
But it turned out to be wrong..
Then again I shouldn't distrust all people..although we go-here- by the rule "distrust comes before trust" then you can trust the person for as much as you can, as long as you know them now pretty well.
And as you said, trust of the self is the most important thing before anything !

Great write hunnie =)

Tranquility Speaks said...

KNEE:Yes we do come across people who don't reciprocate our goodness,there are people who do. Who are nothing like the bad one's we came across. Keep an open mind...free from biases and prejudices. You never what surprises the future has in store for you :-) Am glad you liked this post :-)

nups said...

hey
beautifully written! u knw theres this amazing thing abt mistakes esp when u look back... they r ur own.. ur mistakes belong to u :) and u can even be proud of making them at times cos tat shows u tried.. u trusted maybe it back fired.. but wat the heck u gave it ur best....
i m a mistake queen :) and like a true arian never learn frm them... incorrigible is the word i think :) es when it comes to trusting... i believe each human being is worth a try.. if they break ur trust they loose... wat say ;)
hey thanks for ur wishes in my space

Tranquility Speaks said...

NUPS:Thank you so much! You are bang on target with your views on mistakes. Atleast you tried!! I so agree. And yes every human being is definitely worth a try. If they didn't manage to win your trust..Well..Too bad! So agree with you Nups!!

todays writer said...

I think trusting oneself is the result of the long standing confidence in our being , our existence. It is a conclusion of our mind's acceptance in our deeds - good or bad, right or wrong.
And when we make mistakes , we experience the consequence and that is when we become wiser and understand our strengths and week points -just to grow more sure about ourselves.
I think the person who is well aware about his capabilities , when he trusts himself - that is when we learn to trust others.
Well written, as always :) Loved the sayings/ quotes in between, esp. Mother Teresa's , it so makes sense!

Tranquility Speaks said...

TODAY'S WRITER:So good to be seeing you back in my space!! :D I totally agree with what you have to say. Everything happens for a reason, and more often that not, it's for our best. Life teaches us a lot, through it's myriad ways, if we care to look and pay attention. Am glad you liked this post :) Keep visiting (I'd love it!)

Sparkling said...

Are you by any chance on twitter? I'd like to add you. Lemme know. Tx :)

Scattered Thoughts... said...

I bow you Ms. Stillness .. you are seriously going towards sainthood :P hey.. just kidding.. hope you dont mind.. I am not good with taking the serious stuff but still enjoyed reading it.. :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING:I'm not on Twitter as of now. Intend exploring it in the near future. Shall let you know when I get on :-)

SCATTERED THOUGHTSWelcome here! Sainthood is a far cry for now, because there is still a tremendous lot I want from life :-)

I am not good with serious stuff myself, and very frankly I don't have the patience to re-read my own writes! :-)

Louisette passion retriever, cat, memory Katanga said...

Beautifull text and blog.
Greeting from Belgium

Tranquility Speaks said...

Passion Retriever:Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your kindness :)