Sunday, March 22, 2009

What we want

How often have we wanted something real bad, and not got it. How often have we lived through the pain, sorrow and the unending tears hoping against hope for a light at the end of the tunnel. It's said that it's great when you get something that you've always wanted but it's even better when you don't get it, because then, God's will is involved in it and something better awaits you. Now is that true or is that our way of pacifying ourselves? Consoling ourselves when every logical explaination fails us? I'd like to think that it's the former. Only he can truly appreciate success who has known what failure is like. Only he can appreciate heights who has seen what depths are like. Only he can appreciate true love who has felt what being deserted feels like.



They also say that every dog has his day (I'll add that every doggie has her day too). Which is very very true. In the series of ups and downs, nothing continues for ever. If you've seen enough of rock bottoms, you should know it's time for you to see the overwhelming heights. What beats me though is, how the human spirit survives the onslaught every single time. There is bound to come a point, when the spirit feels battered. When the body is willing but the soul has no strength left. When old wounds still hurt and no matter how many analgesics you take, you still feel the pain when the effect wears off. What do you do then? Wish the concept of erasing a section of memories was a reality. Because at times out of sight is not out of mind. They have to target the out of mind, out of existance to get to the root of the issue.

While trudging the depths, there comes a time, when we start to feel the ascent. It's a new journey from there on, and new experiences. Many of those might be much better than any you've ever had. Which is when we console ourselves and say that it was better we didn't stay there, else we would have never gotten here. Isn't that akin to an infant's behaviour towards a toy. If the toy is child friendly, he will have fun with it. Then you take the toy away and substitute it for another. The child misses it for a moment and then gets on with the new toy. Isn't that such a simple and uncomplicated way of living? It's when we develop the ability to think and feel that problems begin to crop up. But how can you not think? How can you not feel? 
It we let ourselves be free-wheeled, we are bound to get into places we didn't want to be in. When we start thinking, is when we need to start thinking some more so as to deviate ourselves from going to places we ought not to be going to in the first place. It takes a tremendous amount of strength to get up and begin walking again. But trust you me, it is worth the effort. Every bit of it. Yes some things ought not to have happened, but they did. Yes some things didn't go right but they did. Yes some things were outright unfair, but they still existed. The bottomline is, it happens! It just bloody happens, and there is little you or me can do about a lot of things. So what do you do? Take a deep breath. Hold it for a second and then exhale. Repeat until further interruption.

DISCLAIMER: If this piece didn't make perfect sense to you, don't bother. I am with you


3 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Sparkling said...

Awww...why do I feel you're sad today? Please don't be. As you said, things happen! And I guess that is life.

There is a beautiful quote by Kelly Clarkson, I'm sure you know it, she says, 'God will never give you anything you can't handle, so don't stress.'
This is all I can say. And I like that breathing exercise, I'm sure that helps as well! :D

P.S: I can just imagine how uncomfortable you were feeling to write the word 'bitch' that you went ahead and wrote the word 'doggie'...lol!
Please smile :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKINGWish I could give you bear hug for this :D With people like you looking out for me, it's difficult to remain sad :-)

I agree with that quote COMPLETELY. No two thoughts about it!And yeah Deep breathing sure helps. Tried and tested formula :-)

I don't like the word bitch, so for me the feminine gender of Dog is doggie. Pup and Puppie :-D

Thank you Still Thinking! God bless you :-)

Sparkling said...

You're welcome :)
And God Bless you too toujours...