Sunday, September 27, 2009

THE SPEAKING TREE







THE SPEAKING TREE

The Invisible Piper’s Mysterious Tune

Homayun Taba 



    There are so many things about us we cannot do much about, right from our DNA structure, to who our parents are, the place of our birth, and the length of our lives. We refer to these, as ‘givens’ and the actual list can be very long. Albert Einstein, putting on his philosopher’s hat, goes a step further, saying that everything is determined by forces over which we have no control, and that we all dance to ‘a mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible piper’. 
    Against this list sits another one, where the items listed out are those over which we do have influence and things on which we can have 
an impact. Depending on our energy, willingness and level of risk-taking, we are able to generate a whole lot of transformations within ourselves and in the environment around us. 
    One of those prayers found everywhere in stores and curio shops, practically upon every sort of material from glass, to cloth, to wood, is the one that asks the Almighty to grant us serenity to ac
cept the unchangeable and courage to change the changeable. Up to here it has enough insight contained in it. But the crucial few words kept for the third line are ‘…and wisdom to know the difference’. 
    There are many situations in life in which we fail to exercise this discerning wisdom, from our careers, marriages, dealing with our neighbours, or simply in our setting priorities. 
    While changing the material world and one’s financial status are not impossible things to do, it takes a lifetime and many setbacks and knocks to realise that we cannot change others, and that we could have reserved a substantial amount of energy and resources if we had 
exercised the serenity to accept this. 
    Sufi master Bayazid Bistami offers some insight on this. When he was young he was a revolutionary, and all his prayers to God were to ask for energy to change the world. Approaching middle age, he realised that half his life had gone by without his truly changing a single soul. So he changed his prayer, now asking for power to change those he came in contact with – just family and close friends, and he would be content. 
    Then comes this wisdom-statement: “Now that i am an old man and my days are numbered, my one prayer is, ‘Lord, give me the grace to change myself’. If i had prayed for this right from the start i would not have 
wasted so much of my life.” 
So the first prayer is about serenity, courage and wisdom and the second one is about energy, power and grace. And this is interesting because there is a vital link here between wisdom and grace. In one sense a true prayer is about asking God to grant us grace and by that, or in the light of it, we may acquire wisdom. 
Wisdom is not always about 
knowing what to do, but more importantly, understanding about what not to do. Sometimes simply listening, not rushing to help or to interfere can be enormously wise. 
    We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking to realise that in life a lot depends on the willingness to face all that happens to us, and at the same time on learning the limits and extent to which we can overcome, and also what we must learn to make peace with. 
    Life is about choice. But to choose well, Kofi Annan says: “…you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”







P.S This piece appeared in yesterday's Times Of India. I loved their in depth analysis and couldn't agree more!

14 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Sparkling said...

Yes, I remember that prayer and I was glad that day when I came across it :)

I loved this piece. It also reminded me of the various discussions we've had and I guess so far we're on our way, learning to make peace :D

P.S: I'm still learning...the lessons don't seem to cease :p

TC

Jack said...

Tranquility,

Thanks for sharing it. It is true first we need to change ourselves and only then we may hope to make efforts to change others.

Take care

PS : Reply to your view in my post.

Wanda..... said...

So true Stillness...we can only change ourselves and live our lives as an example...

Mahatma Gandhi said: "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Smiles to you Stillness!
Wanda

Jackie said...

A very 'deep' piece of writing...
Thank you, Stillness, for sharing it with us.
How are things going with you, my friend? It seems as if everything is looking up for you....and I'm happy about that...so happy.
Smiles to you from Jackie

Jackie said...

I removed the above post because Blogger posted my comment twice...
Jackie

Bernie said...

I love this poem Stillness and pray it often.....a wonderful post my friend....when one learns and understands the only control one has are the choices we make in our own life.....hopefully wise ones, acceptance and contentment follows.
Enjoy your Sunday, luv ya.....Hugs

Diana said...

Hi Tranquility,
That was quite a statement wasn't it. After reading all I could think of was how I wish I would have had those realizations when I was much younger. But then "live and Learn" they say! So now I try to focus more and pray more and think more. I think we all struggle everyday with our own weaknesses and trying to overcome them!
Love Di

Tranquility Speaks said...

SPARKLING: The way they explained it here, drove the point home! Never have I gone into that much depth!

We sure are on our way to making peace, and gathering courage to change what can be changed :-)

I know this felt like Deja vu. I've no clue why I always write about the same things, again and again and again! :-)

P.S I really really miss those discussions :)

JACK: You're welcome :-)

WANDA: That is a very strong saying again by Mahatma Gandhi. When you read with meaning, there are so many inferences that can be drawn from it, which are applicable to so many areas of our lives :)

JACKIE: That sure was very deep :-) I don't know how you concluded this, but things sure are looking up for me, and I haven't been this happy in a VERY long time :-) Thanks Jackie, all the prayers and good wishes just got heard :D

P.S Don't worry about multiple copies of a single comment, it just adds to the number of comments (making the post look very popular ;-) )

BERNIE: Very very well said Bernie. The realization that we are responsible for whatever happens to us is very empowering. Starting from our thought process right uptill our actions. Hope you are better now. Take care

DIANA: It sure was! There is a difference between knowing things and actually realizing them enough to follow them. I really need a lot of strength and conviction to be able to change what can be changed, so I am learning too :-) Each incident, every choice, every decision, every thought, shapes the person we become, and you Diana are a wonderful human being :-)

Vicky said...

Well done piece, I very much enjoyed reading it. I certainly can't argue against this way of thinking. Changing ourselves, ah yes... I call it the undoing of our parenting... in a way we have to keep what works and let go of the things that were a product of our parents not knowing any better. Thanks for sharing!

Sparkling said...

No, u haven't it earlier, jst wanted to say tat it was so much connected to the convo's we had, wish the piece cm 2 us earlier :p sorry abt typos, d screen is my mob :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

VICKY: Brilliantly and superbly said Vicky! Really admire your thought process. Specially liked the " let go of the things that were a product of our parents not knowing any better" Very true!

SPARKLING: The solutions to our problems already exists, we just have to find them. Someone has already been through what we are going through now, but our transformation and evolution I guess depends on our journey towards the solution (Did that make any sense whatsoever? Don't fret if it didn't. I'm off to bed) Take good care of yourself Sparkling :-)

Pramoda Meduri said...

**“…you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”

Hey..Thanks for sharing this..Very nice post with depth in thoughts..am still thinking abt some lines..Very nice impression that u have made..

CHanging ourselves..it all depends on us and on our thinking..

well said and thank You.

Tranquility Speaks said...

PRAMODA: You are more than welcome Pramoda :)

We change when we realize a need for change. So yes, it rightly depends on us entirely :)

faye said...

UPDATE from Jackie..

Jackie asked me to post this message.
She is currently taking care of her mom ( H1N1 flu ) and doesn't have internet access.
She will be blogging /commenting
soon.