Monday, November 22, 2010

Stressed and stretched- to the limit!



I'd wonder long and hard how people who said "I miss school" and "I miss the college days" could feel that way. What can you possibly miss about a time when all that you had to do was prepare for tests and worry about getting good grades and marks!

Sitting outside a school the other day, I caught myself saying the exact same words. Like they say- Never say never!

The situation is so different these days! I looked forward to my one week of training last week. A week of sheer bliss when I wouldn't have to work. No targets to achieve. No reports of your productivity and quality flooding your inbox. Just learn and relax. I'd come home and sleep like a baby! The Monday blues are at their worst today.

I can complain all I like about inadequate training and how we're expected to know 6 new technologies in 5 days and start implementing them from day 7. But who is listening and more importantly who cares! It's a mad rat race. Now it was THIS that you never faced in school and college. We had pathetic teachers but we had time to learn things on our own by bunking college. How do I convince myself to come home from work and study the same matter with which I've struggled for the past 10 hours? And study is the last thing on my list of things to do on the weekend. Call me lazy if you like. I don't have a very different opinion about myself either. I refuse to give 24 hours of my time to the company! Hell I need some me time. Some time to do the things I like to do. Lead a normal life. Spend time with friends (I do that whenever I get a chance, but that's so not enough), give quality time to parents. And for heaven's sake not sit glumly like a meteor hit me!

In college you could bunk. Damn the attendance. I wish it was as easy here. One of our biggest festivals (Diwali) went by and I couldn't as much as be home to celebrate. Reason- not everyone can be given a leave that day. Tell me more! I'd applied for a leave on new year's eve (2 months in advance). Ofcourse they denied my leave.

Ever so often I get those mad impulses to quit work and sit at home and do nothing. The idea seems so lucrative! But I also know that within 2 weeks I'd tire myself out by doing so. But this much action is something I surely don't look forward to!

I am so done with feeling stressed out. I was supposed to study this weekend to prepare myself for the war on Monday. I didn't do it. I saw movies all day on Saturday. Slept like it's nobody's business and treated myself to a haircut on Sunday.

During one of the enlightening moments I had recently, a voice within said "Don't bring work home". And I listened it. By not bringing work home, it meant not to bring the worries and tension and leave everything that reeks of work at the workplace. I tried that for a week and it had amazing results. I was calmer and so much more like myself. Today I seem to be going back to being that someone I wasn't.

The working of the fourth largest company in the world, doesn't solely depend on my already overburdened shoulders.

I know it won't be easy today and I accept that. I will try by best and forget about the rest. I shall not see the emails from my manager which talk about quality and productivity and all that jazz. I care not if I am doing poorly.

Until sanity prevails again, please take good care of yourselves and keep the stress at bay through yoga. Eat well and do whatever pleases your soul.

15 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Diana said...

Yes well I left you a comment on my blog. I was right as I suspected that you were being over worked and said something like "Work can't be your whole life" I don't remember exactly. But either way you must take time to have some fun. Even when it may not be convenient for some. Only bad things come from stress, this I know for a fact! So with that said, I am glad that you took the time to do a few things for you. Keep requesting holidays off, you'll have to get one eventually!
I also remember very well Tranquility, when Ginny made the transition from collage to the real world. I had many calls from her for quite a while. It's just something that you will get used to eventually! Love you and a HUGE HUG for you from me, Love Di ♥

Vicky said...

Sooo good to hear from you sweetie :) You are a former version of myself!

Over 20 years ago... the company I worked for was small but the 12 hour days and half days on Saturdays really took a toll on me. I look back now and realize the biggest lesson I learned is what NOT TO DO! I eventually started taking a prep course for the exam to be admitted to graduate school. After a particularly stressful day, I went home and found I had been admitted to grad school and knew I had to leap. After 5 years on that job, it was the first decision I made solely for my own benefit, and it was the best decision ever! I was poor, but immensely happy and I've never looked back!

No company is ever worth you, losing you! Moderation is the key and thinking about the next step in your life is well worth it as well :) Hugs to you! Be well Tranquility!

Jackie said...

Stillness....wonderful words of wisdom from my friends, so I won't repeat them. Take care of you...give your work 100% of you while you are at work...and do your best not to take it home. I hug you, my sweet friend. I love you...
Jackie

Bernie said...

Hello my young friend, I so hate to see you full of stress and worry. No job is worth it but only you will know when you have had enough. I am glad you watched movies, rested and had a haircut...so important to do these things and take your mind off your job.
Be well sweetie......:-)Hugs

Wanda..... said...

I will let the others speak for me...since I was always a stay at home mom. I do know my daughter stopped training for a high stress job to become a children's librarian, but I believe that was what She was meant to be...it fit's her artistic soul and kind disposition. Only you can find the balance in your life...some even love what they do for a living and yet end up letting it consume them...nothing overdone is good.

Take care Stillness
Thanks for your recent visit!
♥...Wanda

Sparkling said...

You complain in the most nicest manner and to make your readers feel even more better, you even tell them how to take care of themselves :)
You make me smile :)

I can read that work is not being kind to you, but then you've all the answers, sweetheart. Do your best (and I know you're damn good at that!) and once you're outta there, just disconnect. I know, easier said than done but I can see that you're doing well :)

Take care and I miss you.

P.S: Hey, put a pic of that new hairdo of yours! :)

Jack said...

Tranquility,

Nice to see you back after so long. Thanks for giving tips to destress. I liked the best - Prayers for the stressed. True, one needs time for self too. As far as possible, believe you me it is, work should never be brought home. And one should enjoy work.

Take care

PS : No visits?

Nandini said...

Stresses and strains are an integral part of our life, but remember to live, and loosing yourself can be quite painful...Work is good but work controlling our lives not so good and loosing us to work, terrible so my dear friend, live for tomorrow may not give you that chance and always remember eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we may die and then work is something that will definitely not accompany us :)

Jackie said...

November 25, 2010
Hi Stillness. I wanted to send you another hug today. Hugs are always warm welcomes....and you know that I am thinking of you and cherish the friendship we have.
Love to you from Jackie

Anonymous said...

I can understand how does that make you feel, relating yours with mine!

Dont worry friend! We will soon be managers to push our works to others and rest in peace sending mails, receiving mails and deleting mails! hah... Enjoy your weekends - the only bliss on us!

Jackie said...

Love and warmest wishes for a Merry Christmas and a blessed and Happy New Year, Stillness...
Love,
Jackie

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Just stopping by because I especially want to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas!! Love, Janine XO

Eddie Bluelights said...

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year ~ Eddie x

Jackie said...

Never forgetting you, Stillness....and hoping that you have a peaceful and happy week. Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you......with a smile.
Love,
Jackie

Jackie said...

Happy New Year my sweet friend.
May 2011 bring only happiness and health to you and yours!
Much love,
Jackie