Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pep talk

Here's a story which my manager narrated to me today and it made profound sense to me. Kind of set the alarm bells inside ringing. Here goes-


Once upon a time there was a teacher and his disciple. The teacher taught the student many things and the student absorbed everything like a sponge. When the student was tested, he performed brilliantly, but there wasn't a trace of happiness or satisfaction on the teacher's face. The teacher took greater pains to teach his disciple all the tricks and tips. The student worked harder in the hope that this time his teacher will be pleased. Again when he was tested, he did well but the teacher wasn't happy. It went on this way for a long time. Then slowly the student began to get frustrated. He could take it no more. No matter what he did, no matter how hard he tried, there wasn't an iota of appreciation from the teacher nor a pat on the back for a job well done. He decided to give up. He decided to end his life but before he did that, he concluded that his teacher didn't have a right to live either. He decided to commit suicide by jumping off the building after throwing a huge and heavy stone on the teacher's head as the teacher walked out of the building. He waited patiently for his teacher to emerge. His teacher came out with another teacher. The student couldn't decide upon the moment of throwing the stone, because he didn't want to kill the other teacher. That way it would be a lost cause. He happened to overhear the conversation between his teacher and the other teacher. The other teacher said to the first one "This guy has worked so hard. He is the best student we have, but never have you shown him any appreciation, nor have you patted him on the back. Why is that?" To that the teacher replied "I know he is the best, you know he is the best, but he does not know he is the best. If I tell him, that he is the best, he will stop working and will never realize his full potential. I know for a fact that he is capable of much more than this and I want him to get to the greatest height possible."

I found astounding similarities between life and that teacher. We work very hard in our lives just like that student. We learn from our mistakes and always strive to better our best. But it isn't everytime that life rewards us. It isn't everytime that our family and friends come up with kind, encouraging and optimistic words for us. There are times when our efforts go unnoticed. When our turmoil isn't acknowledged. But that does not mean we give up. Because that is an indication that we are capable of more than we think we are. It's said that gold gets purified only when it passes through the fire seven times. Not everyone goes through the fire. Not everyone has an equal amount of hardships to face in life. Because not everyone is like gold. 


8 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Nema said...

OMG I looooove this post.
I never get bored of reading your posts, no matter how long they are.
this is such an astonishing story that has so many hidden meanings behind it.
I loved your words at the end, especially about the gold and the fire.
I totally love your words, they give me inspiration to write good cheerful stuff.
If I wrote a poem I'll make sure I give you the link..I'm pretty sure you're going to be my inspiration =]]]
I'm so glad I have your blog !!
Please, Write on

Tranquility Speaks said...

KNEE:I am happy that I was able to inspire you in my own small way to look at life positively :-)

Sparkling said...

(Alright, had to take that short break frm the other post as my sis dragged me to church.)

I too liked the story, conveyed something very profound and at the same time it was practical. But you know, life isn't that fair. When your efforts aren't appreciated (end of year appraisals are a shocker sometimes!)you really don't feel all that strong to try harder or do better. Anyway...

Btw, do you know how amazing you're getting with each one of your posts?

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING: To be really honest, I agree with the fact that when your efforts aren't acknowledged, you just can't go on and on. This story is just to console the inconsolable like me :-) Man! You sure are practical!! I really appreciate the fact that you don't blindly fall for any mumbo-jumbo that comes your way. Seriously do! Appreciate this quality hands down :-)

When there are people like you appreciating on every step, anyone is bound to better his/her best. Thanks a tone :-)

Nema said...

Hey hunnie :)
this is the site where I got my new template from :
http://btemplates.com
It's so cool, gotta try it ;)

Tranquility Speaks said...

NEEMA: Hey thanks! It sure is a cool site. Shall try it out when am feeling a little more adventurous than I am right now :-D

Sparkling said...

Hey,
I didn't mean to upset you.
I'm not all that pragmatic, I'm too hopeful as well and that is why I said 'anyway...' :)

And Ms.Speaks, whatever you write is nevah gonna be mumbo jumbo - what you write is a cure for cynicals like moi :D

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING: I'm sorry if I sounded upset, but I really really appreciate your practical approach to things. I wasn't being sarcastic. Trust me :-) It's easier to preach than to follow what you preach. It's only when you have a reservoir of patience that you can be hopeful when life seems to have given up on you. Am working on that, which is why I keep writing about it. Glad it helps :-)