Sunday, April 12, 2009

Mind body connection revisited

I am no authority on this really, so if you're looking for scientific facts, you probably haven't landed on the right page. These are just my views. ( Disagreements have a tendency to spook me, hence the disclaimer at the beginning)

Remember how the doctors in the old Hindi movies used to say that "We've done all that we could and now the only thing that can save him/her is prayers". And the patient's family would  fervently pray infront of some idol threatening it with statements like "I've never asked you for anything in life, but today I ask you to give him/her life. If you don't, I will cease believing in you". ( Remember the good old days!!) Cut to the present. All of that wasn't just jazz the doctors of yore used to give. Miracle healings happened even then, they happen even now. Something beyond the realms of conventional medicine worked wonders. Alternative healing therapies are a reality though some people choose to disbelieve it for want of tangible proof. Which is fine. You can't accept heresay blindly can you. 

There is a strong connection between the mind and our body which can be tapped through Holistic healing. Sometimes the problem isn't physical but etched deep in the patient's psyche. When you weed out the root of the issue, healing is bound to follow. If the patient has even an iota of faith in the healing process( which can either be conventional or otherwise), that little bit of faith will go a long way in ensuring a speedier recovery. Which is when they talk of the "Will to survive". If that does not exist, there is nothing that medicines can do.  

There are people who have achieved healing through hypnotherapy, chiropractice, acupuncture, naturopathy and Yoga when conventional medicine failed. When we tell ourselves something with utmost belief, our body is bound to listen. There is a strong play between our conscious and subconscious minds and something that seeps into the subconscious through the conscious is bound to  materialize. We've seen that happen to ourselves, without realizing it. When we were children and going to school or exams spooked us, we would suddenly begin to feel unwell and even throw up. When we are stressed even today, it upsets our sleep patterns and digestion. 
Stress is behind a host of maladies is common knowledge. 

The answer to everything isn't popping pills. There is a limit to what they can do. Which is why most doctors today advise meditation and yoga to calm the mind. When the mind is calm, everything about the body tends to fall in place. All problems seem manageable. Not many things seem insurmountable. Certain things can be taken care of at a superficial level. Others need you to go deeper. 

Eitherwhich way. The end justifies the mean to the end.If we don't care of ourselves, no one else will. Our life is literally in our own hands. We get to make the choices and we get to bear the consequences of our actions. Reminds me of something I always say "Don't compromise in your life if you have a choice"

8 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Wanda..... said...

I believe strongly in a mind body connection...I always try to just expect things to go well...never let my thoughts go to wondering or worrying about dreadful things or happenings...believing they may be drawn to me...I try to take in only the good through all my "senses"...I believe you are what you eat, think, feel, and see...and I trust my intuition to guide me...Positive thinking makes me happy and being aware keeps me there. I enjoy your postings and so agree with your thoughts. Take care.


You are what you eat and think...

Sparkling said...

Hmmmmm...very, very thoughtful. Very thoughtful indeed. Someone asked me the other day if I was religious, and I said; no, I'm not conventionally religious but I have faith. And I was promised a long time ago that if I have faith as small as a mustard seed I'd be able to move mountains (I've taken this very seriously with that person :)). I'm not saying it has been easy, but the faith has not faltered. As everyone around us often say 'who said life would be all ha ha he he huh?' I agree.

But what I agree even more is what you said at the end - "Don't compromise in your life if you have a choice" - Oh yeah, we always have choices, and I pray that we realise this soon and at the right time in our life.

Tranquility Speaks said...

WANDA: I read this somewhere, that the more you think about the negative and distressing, the more you invite them in your life. It's is so nice to know you've learnt how to avoid these altogether and consciously ensure that all that comes to you is the positive. I am still in the process of learning that :)

I agree with the "You are what you think". So very true!

It's so humbling to see such generous and kind comments from you! Thank you SO very much :D

STILL THINKING: Sometimes faith the size of a mustard seed is enough to see us through a stormy night. Faith that the next day will be bright, sunny and pleasant. It sure is not easy. I'd agree with you there.

"Never compromise in your life, if you have a choice" is something I learnt the hard way. I wish everyone learns it by reading it here :)

Oh yeah, we always have choices, and I pray that we realise this soon and at the right time in our life. Amen to that!

nups said...

hey
long time... i loved ur previous post too.. m a bit tied up with exams so not blogging these days...
well wat u have written is very true... theres a mind body cnnectn stronger than we knw... in fact our mind n the subconsious are so pwerfull.. tat its dangerous... try it sometime if u really focus on achieving smthng it surely alws happens... its ur intention n the will... so it holds true for health n happiness as well...
thanks for reminding us :)

Scattered Thoughts... said...

//Disagreements have a tendency to spook me, hence the disclaimer at the beginning//

wasn't that for me ;)

okay, but here I dont disagree with you.. I so firmly believe in what you said and in fact I have seen that in real life.. one of my aunt's got a paralysis attack and lost the movement in upper body as well as her voice.. The doctors declared that she is going to be bed ridden for rest of her life.. but with a will power of iron she recovered from that in one year or so.. today if one sees her, you can't believe she is the same lady !!

so it definitely has got a strong connection and its all about positive thinking!!

all in all a very nice post and thanks for reminding us all this :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

NUPS:Hey Nups! Long time indeed! All the very best for your exams. Don't you worry about blogging, we can always catch up after your exams :)

You're right about the dangerous bit! I've noticed that too. When you want something bad enough and you really focus on it, sooner or later you do end up getting it.

Glad you liked this and the previous post. Good luck! :)

SCATTERED THOUGHTS: The disclaimer..ehemm...Did I say something??!! :D

Great to know your aunt snapped out of something, no one thought she could. A strong will, genuine intentions and positive thoughts, is all it takes :)

Nema said...

I've always been learning that for my whole life..that every physical sickness is somehow a psychological sickness as well.
If we believe we can do something, or we can defeat the sickness, we will, of course not always (with some serious diseases), but well said..we are the masters of our own bodies.

Beautiful post as always.
You are in the depths of my heart girl. lol
Write on !

Tranquility Speaks said...

KNEE: Glad to see you back in my space. The more we are aware of this connection, the better we can take care of our physical and mental well being:)

Thanks for all the appreciation:)