Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Mind Body Connection


My Mom used to tell me that before sleeping, if you decide to wake up at a certain hour, you most definitely will. Without anyone having to wake you up. Without an alarm ringing on a table close by. I found it eerie because it always worked. There was a minute and second precision. A classic case of mind and body connection. When you feel good eerily enough you also look good. And when there is something bothering you, or eating you up from the inside, it just shows on your face and in your body language. 

Our thoughts have a direct implication on our bodies and what we experience in life. Have you ever noticed that when you're happy, you tend to eat well and sleep well and you are at your productive best. On the contrary when something turns you off and you give it a lot of time and mental attention, it tends to keep growing bigger and bigger until it feels bigger than your life itself. Needless to say one negative thought attracts another and it begins to take a toll on your body. So the way is from the inside out. 

This is not to reduce the importance of things that happen to us. Many of them are more than we can handle at the moment. But like they say, someone or something can hurt you if you allow them or it to. And that directly depends on how much of your mental time and attention you're willing to give to it. The more you nurture it, the bigger it grows. With time you begin to develop health issues which start with loss of appetite and sleep and graduate to bigger problems. You begin to see everything's that wrong with everything and everyone. You turn cynical and sour on life. Which isn't exactly the way to be.

I don't remember whether I read this line somewhere or it just came to me - "Don't go down the memory lane, for there you'll find a lot of pain". This obviously does not apply to the happy memories. Only for the sad ones. A change of thought is all that is required. And that can happen in split seconds. Thoughts ( like Rhonda Byrne says in 'The Secret') have a tendency to attract similar thoughts. You change one bad one and switch to something nice and you're set. And trust you me, it works. More often than not. 

Our bodies do so much for us. We must take some time to take care of them too. We can make a beginning by eating right, sleeping enough and thinking positive thoughts.Meditation is a life saver too. But it needs to be worked upon diligently.The more you try to calm the mind the more chaotic it will seem. But this is a battle between you vs yourself. Persist and it would show you remarkable results. 

If there is a lot of stuff that is wrong with this world, there is a lot of stuff that is right too. The only way to hold on to precious sanity would be to concentrate on the brighter side of life. Don't feel like preaching any more so would end it by saying what I always say- Keep the faith, hold on to happy thoughts and live life and not just stay alive.  

8 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Sparkling said...

All this after your previous post - wow! what zodiac sign are you btw?

I seriously need to leave advertising if I need to find this healthy mind body connection. So far nothing is happening.

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKINGThese days I'm having trouble finding topics to write about. So the moment something hits me and I have a day off from work, I get writing! Hate to see the same page for a week :-) Me is a virgo

Work does take a toll on health. Ask me. I am a living testimony! But the greater the stress levels the greater should be our effort to counter it. Keep healthy and happy How you do it, does not matter. The end justifies the means to the end ;-)

nups said...

hey
thanks for the amazing thoughts.. m not feeling so good as of now and its kinda soothing to read the things which i exactly need to remind myself abt....
thanks pal

Tranquility Speaks said...

NUPS: Glad it helped :-) Take good care of yourself!

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Mind Body connection thing is so true.. I have experienced it so many times that when I have to wake up at some time, I always do but at the same time I have also realized that its a very disturbing thing coz it distracts the sleep to great extent... I mean whole night my mind like keeps on working and the time when I am supposed to wake up, keeps on banging some where in head.. not sure if its just with me or others as well. That is why I prefer to think least about this when sleeping and rely on an alarm :))

About taking care of the body by doing the right things in right time.. alas.. if only we could do it :(( we are a bunch of screwed up people who know every thing but when it comes to actually doing it, we always postpone that to tomorrow or next week or whatever.. with lots of "if" and "but".. For example I will start sleeping in time once this project is over. I will take a vacation but so many things going at once.. and so on..

Tranquility Speaks said...

SCATTERED THOUGHTS: I am not too sure about the disturbing bit because there is so much that goes on in our subconscious mind that we are unaware of. For instance when we are trying hard to recollect some piece of information, it might not occur to us at once, but once we've slept over it, the next time we think about it, we have our answers. The same holds for problems that we have encountered. Our subconscious keeps working on it without our knowing or asking it to. Which is why I am not sure if it is a distraction or a natural way of it's working.

That is the whole point my dear friend! We all are in the habit of postponing our happiness and well being, because we are taking ourselves for granted. It's like we are sure that "Kal ho na ho, parso to hoga hee". For all we know, there is no tomorrow. Better we act now, than never or later!

Wanda..... said...

I gather you are a young person...how did get so wise at a young age...Everything you said is my thoughts on how to live one's life too...To be content...be aware of each moment...be positive of mind, tolerant, kind, forgiving, accepting of others, live in the present and be thankful for just being...Dwell on the good not the bad...what you have...not what you don't have.

Tranquility Speaks said...

WANDA Thanks for dropping by! How did I get so wise so young :-) Well..Circumstances and events in my life taught me a lot. In very little time :-)

I agree with your view completely!Glad you could identify with my views :-) Take care