Sooner or later, everyone you know will disappoint you in some way. They'll say something or fail to say
something that will hurt you. And they'll do something or fail to do something that will anger you. It's
inevitable.Unfortunately, you make things worse when you stew over someone's words and deeds. When you
dwell on a rude remark or an insensitive action made by another person, you're headed for deeper
problems. In fact, the more you dwell on these things, the more bitter you'll get. You'll find your joy, peace
and happiness slipping away. And you'll find your productivity slowing down as you spend more and more
time thinking about the slight or telling others about it. Eventually, if you don't stop doing it, you'll even get
sick.
So what should you do the next time someone betrays you? TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR FEELINGS.
Even though the other person may be at fault, even though the other person wronged you, you are still
responsible for your own feelings. In other words, other people do not "cause" your feelings. You choose
them. For example, two different people could be told that their suggestions made at the staff meeting were
"stupid and idiotic." One person may "choose" to feel so hurt that he never speaks up at any other meeting
again. The other person may "choose" to feel sorry for the critic, sorry that the critic couldn't see the wisdom
and necessity of her suggestions.
As long as you blame other people for your feelings, as long as you believe other people caused your
feelings, you're stuck. You're a helpless victim. But if you recognize the fact that you choose your feelings
and you are responsible for your feelings, there's hope. You can take some time to think about our feelings.
And you can decide what is the best thing to say or do. Then, you've got to learn to WALK AWAY FROM
DISAPPOINTMENT.
It's difficult to do, but it's possible. The famous 19th century Scottish historian, Thomas Carlyle, proved that.
After working on his multi-volume set of books on "The French Revolution" for six years, Carlyle completed
the manuscript and took volume one to his friend John Stuart Mill. He asked Mill to read it. Five days later,
Mill's maid accidentally threw the manuscript into the fire. In agony, Mill went to Carlyle's house to tell him
that his work had been destroyed. Carlyle did not flinch. With a smile, he said, "That's all right, Mill. These
things happen. It is a part of life. I will start over. I can remember most of it, I am sure. Don't worry. It's all
here in my mind. Go, my friend! Do not feel bad."
As Mill left, Carlyle watched him from the window. Carlyle turned to his wife and said, "I did not want him to
see how crushed I am by this misfortune." And with a heavy sigh, he added, "Well the manuscript is gone, so
I had better start writing again." Carlyle finally completed the work, which ranks as one of the great classics
of all time. He had learned to walk away from his disappointment. After all, what could Carlyle have done
about his burnt manuscript? Nothing. Nothing would have resurrected the manuscript. All Carlyle could do
was to get bitter or get started.
And what can you do about anything once it is over? Not much. You can try to correct it if it is possible, or
you can walk away from it if it isn't. Those are your only two choices.
Sometimes you've just got to shake it off and step up (pun intended!!??? may be). It's like the farmer who
had an old mule who fell into a deep dry well. As he assessed the situation, he knew it would be difficult, if
not impossible, to lift the heavy mule out of the deep well. So the farmer decided to bury the mule in the
well. After all, the mule was old and the well was dry, so he could solve two problems at once. He could put
the old mule out of his misery and have his well filled. The farmer asked his neighbors to help him with the
shoveling. To work they went. As they threw shovel-full of dirt after shovel-full of dirt on the mule's back, the
mule became frightened. Then all of a sudden an idea came to the mule. Each time they would throw a
shovel-full of dirt on his back, he would shake it off and step up. Shovel-full after shovel-full, the mule would
shake it off and step up. In not too long a time, the exhausted and dirty mule stepped over the top of the
well and through the crowd. That's the same approach we all need to take. We need to shake it off and step
up.
Finally, you need to FORGIVE. It's difficult, especially when the other person doesn't deserve your forgiveness
or doesn't even seek it. It's difficult when the other person is clearly in the wrong. Part of the difficulty comes
from a common misunderstanding of forgiveness. Forgiveness doesn't mean that the other person's behavior
is okay. And forgiveness doesn't mean that the other person is off the hook. He's still responsible for his
misbehavior. Forgiveness is about letting yourself off the emotional hook. It's about releasing your negative
emotions, attitudes, and behaviors. It's about letting go of the past so you can go forward to the future.
Everyone in your life, everyone on and off the job is going to disappoint you. If you know how to respond to
those situations, you'll be way ahead of most people. You'll be able to live above and beyond your
circumstances.
Action: Identify two people that have disappointed, hurt, or angered you. If possible, select two people
towards whom you still have some bitterness. Then ask yourself, "How does my bitterness serve me? Am I
happier holding on to it? Do I sleep better? Is my life richer, fuller, and better because of my bitterness?" if
you find that your bitterness is hurting you, make a decision. Actually decide to let it go.
Walk away from the disappointment - which means you no longer dwell on it or talk about it. Shake off and
Step Up
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
1 year ago

11 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
That was certainly a perfect message for anyone to hear...a person is only as happy as they chose to be...we all have choices...we can all look out our window on a rainy day and either see the dirty muddy ground rain creates or the beautiful moist earth...Same for feelings...we can put forth bad vibrations with our thoughts and deeds or...create a "silent music" for all to hear.
Thanks for the nice post...wonderful way to start my day!
:')
I had an awful, awful day today. Went so early to work and returned at 10 pm and the whole day was awful coz the 1st meeting of the day was a hell. I was utterly and totally disappointed coz the client totally blew my ideas - I almost said 'I hate advertising'. I'm at home, tired and just checking my mail and my blog and I read this post.
What do I feel now? I'm gonna just shake it off and step up. Will take a nice shower, watch Grey's Anatomy, read a book and sleep.
Thank you. Thank you for writing.
WANDA:You are right. The world appears in a way we want to see it. Loved the way you said "we can put forth bad vibrations with our thoughts and deeds or...create a "silent music" for all to hear." Thank you so much for the insightful comment :) Makes me want to know you more :) Take care :)
STILL THINKING:I saw this comment a minute after you posted it. Wish I could somehow catch u and tell you how terrible my day was today! Not as bad as yours, but not happy and happening at all! The day has ended and brings with it a brand new day.. With the hopes of a better tomorrow.
I pray tomorrow is better for both of us. Relax and take it easy. Not every one is as intellectual as you and me ;) It takes time for them to let ideas from us sink in ;) ;)
Quite like you, I opened my mail box and I saw this forward. It almost felt like Him telling me to step up and shake off!
Thanks dear :)
What happened to you today? Is everything fine now? You feeling better?
TC
STILL THINKING: It's just way too sad for me to describe it here and depress people. Someday, when I get chatting with you, shall tell you :-) But thank you nevertheless for your concern :) I am better now, rather just fine :)
Hope you're ok too after the shower, Grey's anatomy and sleep :) Take care Still
I somehow bless the day when I started reading your blog.. though I must say, some times I find you too very sanguine and over optimistic types but then I think the other way around.. like if she can be like that, I can at least try to be 50% (okay 25% is good enuf) of her optimism
Like they say it takes all kind to make this world.. so thanks for being that type :))
oh, when I read it again, I am realizing what I have written here.. very unlikely me.. but okay my first step towards goodness :)
SCATTERED THOUGHTS:And with this Mr. Thoughts, you have left me speechless! Am at a loss of words. But I'll try.
This isn't really me at all times. There are times when I epitomize the word pessimist. But that is thankfully shotlived. I overcome :)
I had such a terrible day today. One of my close friends really pissed me off and things sorta just didnt get done...but the I read this post and here I am feeling better already. I have decided to "Shake Off and Step Up". Thank you so much for posting this. You have really made my day.God bless!
TODAY'S WRITER: I am so glad it helped you. When we get used to the fact that people will let us down, even those we consider closest to us, it makes things so much easier :)
But every time they let us down, they teach us an invaluable lesson which we would not have learnt otherwise.. Take care :)
hey i don believe this..i jus wrote pretty terrible blog as in was upset abt smthng n there u go... u have hit the nail right on the head ... we r masters of our reactions n feeling...its like we shouldn become like a pendulum alws swaying with every emotional blow that comes our way...
thanks pal ..u made me feel responsible for my smile :) wish u a smile tat lasts as long as ur cares do :)
NUPS:Thanks a lot nups. Wish you more smiles with every step of the way :)
Post a Comment