Saturday, May 2, 2009

How does one prepare oneself for this?

The economy isn't in great shape. There must be few who don't know about it. You hear about massive layoffs in prestigious companies and feel sorry for the exceptionally qualified and experienced lot who lost their jobs. In the innermost recesses of your heart you thank God that your job is still safe. This is something that happens to others. How do you deal with it when it happens to one of your own? Or you? 


You walk into office one fine day, full of enthusiam and zeal, all set to work another day. You haven't even started your day when the manager summons. There is a long discussion. Your heart skips a beat. Tension is writ large over your face. You want to say something against it, but you also know that it won't make any difference what so ever. Nothing that is being said makes any sense to you. The discussion comes to an end and you come back to your workstation, unsure of what to do next. You break it to your best buddies at work. There is shock, horror and dismay. How do you put up a brave face and remain composed? I guess guys are just trained to not break down in public. I tried to ape them in this department but could not. It was just way too overwhelming. It wasn't me who got laid off, but one of my best buddies. And this time round, that thought that "I'm glad I still have a job" just refuses to come to me. 

Someone once joked and said that "When someone in the US sneezes, people world wide catch a cold". Our economy depends so heavily on them. I won't even get into economics and stuff that makes "Business sense" because that ain't my department and I've no relevant experience in it. But one thing that I do know is that this wasn't very right. I also know that managers can't be emotional about things like this and have to take some tough decisions, but there is no way any logic is going to make any sense to me ever as far as layoffs are concerned. Not just in this country but the world over. 

If any manager is reading this, please excuse my ignorance as far as business is concerned, I just can't fight with you on this. 

There are colleagues who have lost jobs who deserved it much  more than I deserved mine. There is one who needs that money to buy the daily bread and butter and meet the monthly expenses. There are loans he has taken and those need to be repayed.There is another who does not even know that he has been fired because he was on leave. There are others who were hired because the client anticipated a surge in business and fired when the client's forecast went horribly wrong 2 months later. And some of the people I am referring to are exceptionally qualified professionals.

The shock has still to sink in. I am sure a better opportunity awaits each of those who lost this today. And all of those who have been laid off in the recent past, the world over for that matter. 

At times it just isn't about the money. You like your job because the work that you do satisfies you AND because the people you work with are so much fun to be with and make life so much easier for you. Take away the first, and you can still survive because of those very people. Take away the second and nothing seems the same again. Nothing will be the same again. Life will go on. This too shall pass. Gradually every individual who lost a job will get another one. 

Without your friends at work the usual victories about work well done won't feel like victories any more. The smallest of defeats will seem mammoth.

 When they walked into work this day, they had no clue what awaited them. And they have no clue where they will see themselves one month from now. I hope they all land up in a place even better than this. 

I am sure it will sound insane to you but I wished they would do it to all of our team. Not keep some and let go off the others. We were like one big family. How do you go on with one of your family members missing? I was telling my best buddy "I wish someone comes to me and tells me that this was one bloody joke  or someone wakes me up from this nightmare". 

This just reinstates my theory that bad stuff happens to good people. Corollary: If you are a good person, expect bad stuff to happen to you. I am sure you're thinking I've lost it. Not quite actually.

The moment calls for a little more strength and poise. Would you know where I could buy it?

8 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Wanda..... said...

Here in America we are hoping President Obama's administration will stabilize the economy...my family has not suffered any job losses...although my Husband is retired from General Motors and worries somtimes about our pension and medical benefits...Everyone should have the opportunity to work and provide the "necessities of life" for their family...I hope a big change occurs world wide and things end up improving better than ever...no child should go hungry.

Nema said...

Remember one of my old post that was entitled "Spineless Mistakes" ??
Well..Remember when I said that God often tests those whom he loves the most, to see how strong and brave they will be..I'm sure God loves you and those people to test you all, and see how you're holding on.
It makes me so sad to see you posting this, but of course each one of us have their own moments..

Cheer up..The sun is always bright on the other side :-)
And I'm sure God will make it up to you AND these people.
It's funny to see the tables are turning and you're the one who's depressed..I hope this sadness will fade away soon babe.
Take care and you know I'm here =)
Write on beautiful~

Sparkling said...

I'm really sorry for your friend Ms. Speaks. I really am! One thing I know it that it can never be easy.
Forgive me, I really don't have the right words to say to you that might make you feel better, just that keep the faith. The times are real tough, real tough, all we can do right now is help each other and be there for each other.

Wanna talk? Remember, anytime!

Take care ((hugss))

Tranquility Speaks said...

WANDA: We in India also have a lot of hopes from President Obama. He is doing his bit to counter terrorism in our part of the world and I really appreciate that. I sincerely hope that the US economy stabilizes soon and things like you said, get better than ever before. Everyone again like you rightly said should be given an opportunity to explore his/her potential. Thanks Wanda :)

KNEE: I did convey your "God tests those who He loves the most" to my friend and the reaction was "I wish he would not love me so much!!" :-)

I will be fine with time. It takes time for something like this to sink in when it hits you unexpectedly.Thank you so much for your support Neema, I really appreciate it!

STILL THINKING: You listened to me, that is all that I want right now really. Thank you so much Ma'm! Someone once told me that once you hit the rock bottom, the only way out is up. I am sure with time things will improve and everything will be fine. I hope that day comes sooner than we expect it.:) Thanks for being SO supportive Ma'm.

Prasant Naidu. said...

I know a guy who was thrown from his job recently. He said to me that he is not worried about the job or when he will get a job but about the next EMI and credit card statement. Yes it's tough but then Life is full of surprises.
Keep the Faith is what you have to survive with.

Keep Rocking,
Prasant

Scattered Thoughts... said...

its quite an odd topic actually.. I don't know what to say and while its definitely bad and difficult on those people's part who are loosing the jobs but at the same time I suppose the companies are often helpless.. they need to survive and take every step which is feasible.. coz otherwise they will not be in position to continue with the people who are still in job..

I feel some of the companies are doing it intentionally to put off the unnecessary burden but most of them really need it coz the business is actually in bad shape, what so ever may be the reasons..

As for the obama.. that is another odd topic to me.. I find him a sweet talker most of the times.. he did that all over the election campaign and nothing has changed much after his winning.. let us see what is there in future..

//The moment calls for a little more strength and poise. Would you know where I could buy it?//

from your inner self.. if that answers your question :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

PRASANT NAIDU: Thank you for dropping by :-)

Things have been in a bad shape for very long now, so now it's time for change. Time things take a turn for the better.

SCATTERED THOUGHTS: I agree with you there. Some companies just can't help but do this to sustain themselves, while others still want to maximize their profits by keeping a few, making them overwork and make merry.

Barack Obama is doing his bit to counter terrorism here which is a nice beginning. Let's hope he can bring about a change which he promised when he said " Yes we can"

Prasant Naidu. said...

No worries.
I personally beleive that A Change happens for GOOD.

Keep Rocking,
Prasant