To those who want to know, and to those who don't. To those for whom this matters, and to those for whom this doesn't. Here it is.
My tooth, is no more. With me. It was yanked out this afternoon. Without any sentiments attached. Like it meant nothing to that dentist.
It does not interest you, but there are things you must know. For the unacquainted, the saga began circa middle of this week. My poor little departed tooth was craving attention and space. I could not give it space but it got all the wrong attention. All that it ever did in it's lifetime is give me pain. No one wanted it in this world mouth. Everyone wanted it out. You didn't want it, I didn't want it, the dentist didn't want it either.
There is so much we could have done had we been together. Gorging on delicacies, going for cleaning sessions, the new toothpastes. The works! It's life had just begun. That's the thing with powerless little defenseless creatures. They have no say in life.
Coming back to the gory story. I was made to wait for eternity before I was called. He looks at it for 5 minutes and wants to extract not one but two. He wants all my money and he also wants all my teeth. "No! Never!". I was only prepared for one. He wasn't pleased and asked me to wait for another hour. I thought a better use of my time would be to eat something and that I did. Within minutes of my arrival, I was ushered in. The Anesthetist ( see picture for details) came

in to see me first. His brief instructions to me "It is going to feel like a prick ok?!" He loads the syringe and proceeds to perform the prick. Everything was just as he said only that it felt more like a prick. He refuses to pull the damn thing out for what seems like an eternity. What do I do? Scream as much as I could. Finally he thinks he is done. Or so I thought when he wants to prick again. Alright this was quicker. "Did it hurt? Was it that painful?" If looks could kill, he'd be a dead man.
In walks the doctor. General questions later he tells me that it won't pain at all (The liar) and the most I will feel is pressure. Right. And if it hurts me I am supposed to raise my left hand. Right. No it wasn't pressure it was more than it. I raised both my hands, but I realized that the doc had said that out of courtesy and was in no mood to stop. I nearly caught his hand but was instructed to let go. I yelled and screamed as much as I could, but no one listened. This is precisely what my tooth must have felt too. And within minutes the doctor is done. Calls for a scissor. Yikes!! Alright, the end of gore. He puts something that feels like cotton into my toothless gum and asks me to bite. I oblige. I don't see anything, but feel a tremendous lot. Next the liar taps me on the shoulder. I open one eye and he tells me "Off you go". Neat. He sends a huge bill to my waiting parent citing "Difficult extraction". Time for some quick Math. If 5 minutes of extraction equals 2k, how much will a 10 minute extraction cost?" Nothing for the person who gets it right, so don't even bother.
I run to my waiting parent. He is taken away to buy medicines lest I die out of horror and pain. I look up and see the Anesthetist again. With a lot of instructions on what to do and what not to do, he tells me "Don't speak for an entire day alright!". Now this is new. I've never heard this before. But I didn't speak. It's been 6.5 hours since my tooth left for it's heavenly abode and I still haven't spoken.
I came home and out of sheer sadness fell asleep. I merely shifted when shooting pain hit me. Apparently the effect of anesthesia was wearing off. All hell broke loose. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't. I wanted to speak, but I couldn't. I wanted to yell, but I couldn't. All the activities involved opening of the mouth which I won't for the life of me if I can avoid it today. I can't stand gore. But it was becoming impossible to swallow a pain killer without opening it. Once it opened, I did speak 4 words "Yes it is paining", had orange juice, a pain killer and strawberry and vanilla ice-cream". Before you recommend ice-packs, I applied those too.
The pain killer somehow got lost in my system, eventually found it's way (Love and pain killers almost always, subsequently, find a way), and kicked in. No pain now, but a very very bad feeling around the area where my tooth once existed.
I don't know where it is now. I don't even know in what state it is in. Several centuries later someone will find it and want to study it in detail.
To my tooth, where ever you are. I want you to know that I loved you very much.
ADDENDUM: This is being issued in public interest (I don't think I can get more vain than this). The author of this post and her toothless self are both doing well. The author does miss her tooth when she takes a trip down the memory lane, but those thoughts will fade with age.

18 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
Oh Stillness I am so sorry that it was a bad experience for you. While it is never a good experience having a tooth pulled, it should not have caused you that much pain had they done a proper job. I am such a baby about having teeth pulled and I hate going to the dentist but still when given enough pain blocking medications I only felt pressure and tugging. You should have had the option of requesting more pain relief if it was too much. I'm sorry I am going on but You've obviously been through enough with that tooth and I am anxious for you to be completely relieved of your pain. Go and get plenty of rest Stillness and I will pray that your pain fades quickly!
Pain can be costly to us all. But at least its finally out, hope it recovers fast so that you can be able to talk once more.
Stillness...I had just left you a comment at my site when I noticed you posted...So glad the extraction ordeal is over...now for the healing...I'm sure all will go well, but don't ignor any abnormal pain or swelling...although I know that's the last place you want to return to...I have a dread of dentists myself...
I enjoy your writing...with that slight hint of sarcasm you have:)
Take care...hope you feel better soon.
RIP, the tooth of Ms. Speaks, RIP :)
Being silent for the whole day is meditative you know? :p
Lol!
TC
Hello Stillness, so glad this is over and out, but sorry to hear how hard it was for you. I did notice your sense of humor though. A gargle of warm salt water a few times a day will help your gum to heal and your mouth will feel better. Glad I know your ok before I go. Rest and drink lots of fluids and I will talk with you soon....:-) Hugs
Stillness, it is nice to see that you have a sense of humor through the ordeal that caused you so much pain. You shouldn't have felt any pain...only pressure during the procedure. I'm sorry that felt any pain at all. Continue to take care of yourself. I do try and check here every day to see how you are doing. Great writing on your part!!
Smiles,
Jackie
DIANA: They did do a nice job I have to admit. The anesthesia only blocks out the pain sensations with the other sensations intact, hence the feeling of pressure and tugging .I couldn't have requested for more anesthesia, they gave me enough to numb the entire right side for several hours :-) But once the effect wore off.. It was HELL ! Thanks Diana, it should take 2 or 3 days and then I shall be fit as a toothless fiddle ;-)
ETHEREAL LILY:Thank you for dropping by! I'm hoping the same :-)
WANDA: I am so glad that the ordeal is over. I had you, Bernie, Jackie and Diana in mind and was thinking of your reassurances that all will be fine. It was. The post extraction pain is normal and I've been given some medicines to counter inflammation and infection. I should be good, but like you said, if it becomes unbearable, I know who sees me next :)
Thanks Wanda, I am glad you appreciate the way I write. Makes a huge difference to me to have someone like you say it :D
STILL THINKING: In which ever bin it now lies, it does RIP I am sure. Free of pain and attachments. The way to be! You rock my tooth, you rock!
BERNIE: I am mighty glad too! Extractions are always hard for me, and never a cake walk. Plain hate them from the bottom of all my organs. Thanks you Bernie. Your, Wanda's, Diana's and Jackie's advise really helped. A heart felt thank you to all of you.
I have been gargling but the frequency shall go up gradually. We don't want the clot dislodging and making my life miserable :) Come back soon Bernie, shall miss having you around :)
hi there
that was should i say pretty horrendius :) "dentists" are very scary indeed n i knw it cos i am one :)
i still wonder how on earth i became a dentist..m so scared of the job myself...
i remember the poem "dentist" by Ogden Nash... full of gore!!
never mind be more careful in future n don let the gap be like this get a bridge or implant done :) ask me in case of any doubt
JACKIE: My pathetic sense of humor comes back when the pain goes away, otherwise I make a sorry picture (atleast these days) :-)
The pain was after the anesthesia effect wore off, but the pressure and tugging which I call pain too, were too much to handle. Post extractive pain is normal I'm told. I should get better with every passing day. Thank you SO very much Jackie for watching over me and praying for me. I was telling my dad about how kind you, Bernie, Wanda and Diana are to me and how well taken care of I feel :)
Thanks a bunch for the appreciation. Like I told Wanda, coming from you, it means a tremendous lot :)
NUPS: Hey Nups, long time no see! How are you doing? Anything that has blood oozing out is horrendous to me, though had I been a little more courageous, I would have called this kind of a reaction- dramatization!
By Jove! I didn't know you were a dentist! I am sure as hell scared of them. They must really eat well to be able to pull out stuff. Phew!!
A bridge or an implant? In place of a wisdom tooth? It was extracted, because there was no space for it. Won't an implant undo what I just did?
oh dear
it was the wisdom tooth then its ok.. u mentioned one more tooth tat need to meet its end right? which one?
wisdom tooth need nt be repalced
It's meeeeee again, Stillness. It's nighttime here. I've been picking corn late this afternoon....came in and checked your blog to see if everything is going OK with you. I am hoping that with every passing hour the pain will lessen...and it will.
Your sense of humor is still keen, my friend. I hope that you rest well... no dreams of dentists or extractions....only happy dreams...things that make you smile...Hold those close in your thoughts....and surround yourself with people that make you happy.
Smiles and hugs from Jackie
NUPS: He wanted the matching wisdom tooth in the upper jaw removed too. I thought I'd wait until it gives me any problems. Hmm..I thought as much :-)
JACKIE: Everything is fine at my end Jackie. I woke up this morning with mild throbbing, but that is normal and it happens. I had my medication after breakfast and I am absolutely pain free now. I did have dreams of dentists for sure last night. Don't know if that is a good omen ;-) Loads of love to you :-)
May its soul rest in peace!! :P
I'm so very sorry you had to go through all of it , but man the hilarity you weave into your experience is just awesome :)) I just love the quirky way you've written the account...
Dentists ... hmmm, my nightmare... I do have dreams of all my teeth falling out n still shudder at the prospect of going to them ... I'm even more scared now as I Know I need a filling but going to the dentist is a nightmare before the Actual one itself :))
SCATTERED THOUGHTS: Thank you! May God bless you and all your teeth
ADISHA: Thank you so much :-) Oh I've had those dreams too. I've tried hard to find an accurate interpretation, but all I could find was "Some fear, anxiety, low self esteem".
It feels terrible I know, but I would still say that don't ignore any signs of pain,discomfort or any abnormality, no matter how small. Go right ahead and get that filling done. It can't pain as much as an extraction. You can trust me on that :-)
Stillness....I boiled some corn....added salt and lots of butter...and thought of you. I hope that you are feeling better....the ache from the extraction has subsided...(yes?) I am hoping that each day is better and better.
P.S. A friend told me that she puts her corn in the microwave IN the shuck...just cuts both ends off (reducing the protein in case of a worm....yuck)...and microwaves it for 3 minutes. That way, the shucks, silk, etc. are no problem to remove....it just slides right off...and she says it tastes like boiled corn. Hmmm...I don't know. I like to silk mine and check for the 'protein' first!
Hugs and smiles to you....
Jackie
Hi Jackie :-) Yea there is no pain now, just a very very mild throbbing, which should go away soon. It is getting better everyday. No further complications I hope :-)
Oh yes, it tastes delicious that way. Makes me want to have it NOW :D The way we have it here is to peel the outer cover, roast it over fire/coal and then when some black spots appear, we rub lemon over it and then some salt. We ideally have it in the rains. Tastes yum. Try it and tell me if you find it appealing :-)
Post a Comment