Sunday, July 12, 2009

Gifts to treasure!

A gift becomes a treasure when you know the person who gave it to you put in a lot of thinking and love into it, and didn't mechanically pick it up. Because he or she wanted to "get done" with it.


Some gifts stand out while others are forgotten and relegated to the dusty cupboard shelves only to be discovered during a clean up operation years later.

The one that remains etched deep in my memory is of the graduation gift my family gave me when I got done with my "killer" degree exams. My first trip abroad. It might not be a big deal, but for me it was. Very big indeed. Travelling on my own made it all the more special.

I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I was. It was uber scary too. I lose my passport and visa and I lose my identity. What if I got lost in translation? What if there was a situation of involuntary denial of boarding? What if I overslept when it was time to get off and catch a connecting flight? What if I didn't know where to get to, to catch my connecting flight? What if my flight from Mumbai to Amsterdam got delayed and I subsequently missed the one from Amsterdam to Detroit and from Detroit to my final destination? Ofcourse my phone won't work!How would I let my folks all over the world know? Where do I go to get local currency? What if I loose the currency! And then,what if I get hungry! Poor little lost kid! And what if my flight crashes in the middle of nowhere ? Here is an account of what actually ran through my mind:

I would die without :

1. Knowing whether I passed or flunked my exams
2. Being married
3. Having a job
4. Having kids

(Yea all of them are high on my priority list and Yea I can actually be that loony at times! What! You don't trust me!! Fine! Go figure)

But all of this was neatly asked to shut up and stay there and the trip I did take. One thing let to another and realization dawned that making that kind of a trip wasn't rocket science after all (Gee :D )Not that I have never done things on my own or lived on my own. But this was different. I did get there in one piece and got to know of my result two days prior to my home coming. That is what you call torture of the third degree ( I passed yea, and with a first class too. Thank you ,Thank you all!!). Adventures of my visit there and the element of surprise upon my homecoming reserved for later use. Post another day I shall!

We are talking gifts here, and coming back to gifts, there is another something that is extremely special. I had this audio cassette of Robert Miles called 'Children' which was a very special possession which I passed on to a relative (Why? Was feeling overly generous that day because). That was when I was little and in school. Since then I had looked everywhere for another copy of the same but I never found it again, and I mentioned that in passing to a very dear friend of mine one. Several months later when I met this long lost friend, what do I find as a gift? Yes! An audio cassette of Robert Miles -Children! I swear to you I had looked everywhere and never found it, and my friend remembered this one casual conversation and remembered to pick it up when it was spotted! Wow!! Now this is what I call a gift! Still brings a smile to my face :) And reminds me of the thoughtfulness some people put into the things they do.

Another thing that always comes to my mind as special is when I was given a bouquet on my birthday! You will find this queer, but yea, I'd never been gifted that before :) So of course it was special!! Simple things make for great presents for me, because the little things please me no end. Not that I don't notice the big surprises, but the little things have a special place somewhere deep down :)

15 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

Lovely gifts you have got. Travelling on one's own is indeed a great teacher!
So sweet of your friend to gift you that very music U'd been searching for.
Small typo in your post--it should be 'lose' not 'loose' (sorry--writer in me couldn't help pointing out)
Nice post!
Cheers
preeti

Bernie said...

How wonderful to receive that tape as a gift...twice. It was meant to be yours my friend. Taking the time to enjoy the flowers, the little things mean so much to us all, I am so glad you have learned at such a young age to appreciate life and all it has to offer. Am looking forward to hearing about your trip.....:-) Hugs

Tranquility Speaks said...

PREETI SHENOY: It was a wonderful learning experience :)

Very sweet indeed and very touching too!

Psssst: I corrected the typo immediately (Eeeps!!)

BERNIE: Yea, what's yours, always comes back to you, doesn't it :D And if it doesn't, it was never yours to begin with ;-)

Thank you Bernie, you are always so appreciative and make me feel so good about myself :D

I will write about it for sure ( when I have nothing better to write about (which is always)) :D

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you were able to get your music back...and that showed true thoughtfulness on your friend's part...not only the music being sent to you....but especially the part that your friend remembered....was listening to you...and taking in what you were saying. Some people will look at you and 'act' like they are listening....when in fact, they are likely thinking of the next thing they can say about themselves....selfish of them...but this person sounds like a good listener....which makes for a good friend.
I was excited to hear about your flights! I would love to hear more...details....(not personal ones, of course....but things that happened along the way!) I bet you have volumes to write....and that would give me the glimpse of places I have never been to. Wonderful for me (selfish one that I can be!!)
I send you special smile today with thanks for a great post. Gifts are wonderful....they don't have to be wrapped and tied with a bow....The gifts from your friends were the BEST! A smile is a special one....and flowers!!! Great gift!!! Girls/women never forget flowers (any men reading this??....take note!!!)
Another hug to you, Stillness.
Smiles from Jackie

Nema said...

I've always considered the gifts that I really needed are the best gifts (not that I tell them I need it), you know like that audio cassette, you mention to your friend-spontaneously-that you really want it, and suddenly it's all in your hands..such a thoughtful gift!

I would loooove bouquets as a gift! I've always loved flowers, not that I'm romantic, they just tell A LOT :) hehe.

This is such a great post, thanks for drawing a smile on my face <3

Diana said...

That was so funny Stillness, all that was going through your mind when you were to travel. It reminds me very much of all that goes through my mind whenever I have to do something I haven't done before.So I just give myself a lecture " Just shut up and calm down, either it will work or it won't"! Otherwise I may drive myself to insanity!
It sounds like you are able to find pleasure in the simple things of life. Thats a gift.

Wanda..... said...

Stillness...I hope you never change from the intelligent sweet person that seems to know what's important in life...from expressing the feelings of your heart to loved ones to knowing materials things do not give you happiness...and being aware of each moment in time...before that time slips away...Continue to be an open minded, thoughtful, forgiving person and you will have no regrets in your later years...
I hope you find a similar soul mate for a long satisfying life.
You make me want the best for you!

nups said...

hey
m here after a long time :) the trip was great fun m sure :) n wat a gift man!!
a gift is special jus the act of unwrapping a present no matter hw small it is ..is so exciting..age no bar :)
wish u many more in the years ahead ..n each better than the last :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

JACKIE: I sure admire active listeners and those who notice the little things :)

I will write at length about it. Just thinking of all of that makes me so happy!

Gifts are always welcome, but the thoughtful ones make a permanent place for themselves in the recesses of the heart :)

Thank you for being so appreciative of my post :)

KNEE:Same here Nema! When you are unexpectedly given what you've badly wanted for a long time, it sure feels special :) Thank you for being so supportive of my writing :)

DIANA You're right, if it works, it works, if it doesn't, then something else will! :)

WANDA: Even if time does change me, I will make a conscious effort to let these virtues remain unaltered. Your words really touched me, and made me feel so good! Thank you :D A HUGE hug to you :D

NUPS: If the memories still rock, it sure was out of the world :D

I so agree with you. Unwrapping something that someone got for you, thinking of you every moment, feels amazing :D

Thank you SO MUCH NUPS :) I wish you the same and more. Loads of love :)

Sparkling said...

Wow! Can your family have a word with mine and share notes? My family needs to get innovative here :p

Wishing you many more such gifts that make you smile long after :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

STILL THINKING: LOL!

Once in a blue moon happenings you see. My family needs those lessons every now and then *wicked wicked me*

Muaaah. Thank you my dear friend :D

Adisha said...

That's a Lovely post, in dedication to all the gifts that have mattered to you. Travelling alone woww !!! A friend remembering what you'd wanted and giving u the same months later. I know that feeling personally . I was in college, me and a friend were sitting and talking about stuff and I mentioned that I needed head phones for my walkman and had a laugh about it ... months later on my bday, that's what i got :)) My laughter wouldn't stop only :)) And bouquets, no matter who or when are Always special gurl !!! Happy gifting and receiving :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

ADISHA: Unexpected stuff always brings so much happiness, isn't it :D Which is why they ask us to keep our expectations at a real time low! Here's wishing you lots of gifts too in the future (the big and costly ones too ;- ) )

Anonymous said...

Stillness.....are you OK? I hope that all continues to go well with you. I wanted to check and see that you are doing OK.
Smiles,
Jackie

Tranquility Speaks said...

JACKIE: I'm good Jackie! Thanks for asking :)Just a little hard pressed for time :)