Monday, July 20, 2009

I can't be that bad!

Mahatma Gandhi once said "You can please some people all of the time, all people some of the time, but you can't please all people all the time!"


In a competitive environment, for some strange reason the equation between a girl and a guy is sparingly that of jealousy, but girls amongst themselves are somehow always at a war with each other! Jealous because someone else looks better, is better, sounds better, dresses better, gets all the male attention. Whatever!

It amazes me how some people can fake it and be all good to you on your face and bitch about you with vengeance behind your back.What cheap thrills do they possibly get out of this? I agree that two people can look at the same thing and think differently and what is perfection personified to one might be the depths of imperfection to the other. Sure I know all that. But I'd like to believe that even teenagers have better sense than to think ill of someone they've just been acquainted with for a week. Here we are talking about grown ups, who refuse to grow up! Why does it upset me so much? I don't know!! No their opinion does not count.Of course I am open to constructive criticism, but this ain't constructive by any stretch of imagination! How in the world can I help it if someone chooses to talk to me and not them? How can I help if I am appreciated for my work and they aren't? How can I help if I choose to be interested in work that they've absolutely no interest or respect for? Like someone once said "I can't go out to each and every person and tell them "Look I am a helluva nice girl, so please talk to me". To each his own. If it makes people feel superior by putting another person down, so be it! Someone up there watches all the goings on, and the person at the receiving end sleeps in peace with this knowledge and a clean conscience.

I've a unique way of dealing with this. Whenever I come across a difficult person, I always silently tell myself "It's alright, you don't have to marry this person, and this won't go on forever. There will come a time when you won't see this person again, and what shall remain will be memories. What this person chooses to retain is none of your business, but you can make sure your memories of the time and person are happy". I just felt like sharing this with whoever bothers to read this. I would be very glad if it is of any help whatsoever!

16 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Nema said...

Yeah yeah I know what you're talking about here..though I can't help but do it sometimes..maybe because it just bothers me to see people's morals like this..?
Or if you're talking about a way of living in general..it's none of my business anyway.

It was of help of course! =)

Wanda..... said...

People do see and react to situations so differently...You're right to just go about doing your job and living your life the best you can...it's a weakness on their part...actually an inferiority problem for people that look for reasons to put others down ...Always smile and be civil...it's their loss in not letting themselves discover what a fine person you are and waht a great friend you would be!

Thank you Stillness for all your sweet and appreciative comments to me and thinking my home is heaven...it's really just a simple quiet haven for all of my family, even though it's only the two of us here now...If I could send you a cake I would...but it would be smoooshed!
Take care,
Wanda

Vicky said...

Hmm, ouch. No easy answers are there? I met with that in an office I worked for and it was torture. As much as I tried to rise above and stay out of it, its does hurt at times. I finally got accepted to grad school and shocked the heck out of them by leaving suddenly. I heard they started picking on the new girl by the end of her first week. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh Stillness...I can feel the hurt and the anger (not vindictive...but justified anger) in your post. I wish I could say that this won't happen again...but we know that in life, people will let us down. We have to focus on keeping our eyes and faith on that which lasts forever. People will let you down. I've found that if someone has stooped so low as to insult you or put you down, they are only doing that to try to build themselves up...so apparently the problem was theirs to begin with. You are doing the right thing by ignoring to the best of your ability any hurtful or spiteful thing someone says or does to you. You will be the better person for it. Carrying bitterness toward that person will only hurt you....so, keep on giving of that big and sweet heart of yours.
Smiles from Jackie

Scattered Thoughts... said...

all in a day's work??

Tranquility Speaks said...

KNEE: I'd like to believe that if there is a problem, be bold enough to say it on the person's face. Doing and saying things behind the back is what cowards do. You can't live with something, say it. Not everyone has relevant experience in telepathy! Don't get me wrong though! I don't mean to be judgemental about anything you do, or don't!

WANDA:I certainly understand that inferiority bit, but what amazes me is the inferiority complex that highly accomplished people suffer from. Those who've so much more than I do! It drives me to think that nothing ever satisfies humans. No matter how much they have, they still want more. There has to be full stop somewhere!

I find it very difficult to smile and be civil, but do it nevertheless! No point in begrudging them, but it makes the environment so very negative!

Your home is truly marvelous! I actually mean every word of what I say. And come this weekend, I shall definitely bake the cake I've been wanting to for a long time :-)

Thanks for this particular comment Wanda. Made me feel good again :-)

VICKY: It is sheer torture! Jeez!! I hope something changes soon. It's getting a wee bit difficult tolerating all this. But I shall hang in there for sure. I hope we don't run into each other as much once training is over!

JACKIE: In total agreement with you. I guess it is just immature thinking that makes people behave this way, and with time and many more life experiences, they will change for the better!

Detox every day is what I need! Oh lord! What have I gotten into!

SCATTERED THOUGHTS: No sir. All in a week's work :-)

Nema said...

I'm an honest person, if the other is my friend, I tell them everything..I never judge though :)
Don't worry I know what you mean =)

Tranquility Speaks said...

KNEE: Hugs to you for being the way you are! Stay that ways forever girl :) Never change the good in you :)

JennyMac said...

I think your approach is wise..not always easy but wise. We have the biggest gossip in our neighborhood, she is one that requires an infinite amount of patience. Very positive post!

Diana said...

These thoughts were so true Stillness and sometimes people can just be plain stupid. I'm stupid at least once a day, at least!
One of the things that I try to remember when dealing with rudeness or ignorence is that maybe that person has had something really bad happen to them. Or maybe they had no one to teach them right from wrong. Which is why I am forever talking to Katie about EVERTHING! I figure that some of it has to stick. But thats what I do and it makes things a little easier for me when having to deal with rude, selfish or ignorant people.

EM said...

could not help laughing at the tone of this post. loved it

Adisha said...

Very mature way of handling your irritation ... :)

Sparkling said...

So have you given that person a piece of your mind or no?! :)

In any case, you know very well how you are, so chin up and enjoy the weekend! :)

P.S: The 'Rehna Tu' lady :p

Tranquility Speaks said...

JENNY MAC: Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :D

You bet! Being indifferent also takes so much of effort! Thank you so much Ma'm for all the appreciation :-)

DIANA: I'd disagree with that! Someone who is so wise can't be stupid !! We make mistakes because we're only human. But atleast we learn from our mistakes and don't intentionally harm people!

Your thought lingered with me long after I had read it. You're right, people are the way they are because of whatever they have gone through and the way they've been brought up.

I am just the same. I believe a conversation can resolve most issues and make you feel good again :D

EM: Yea!?

ADISHA: At times even this thought isn't enough and I have this mad urge to plant a slap across their face!! Don't worry,am not as violent as I sound :)

SPARKLE: Welcome back lady! So good to see you again. Is there a way I can read what you write?

Have I Given them a piece of my mind? No because I don't feel like wasting my time and energy on people like these. My day goes well if I don't see them. Jeez!! Someone has to learn how to forgive humanity!! Somebody drill that lesson into me!!

ethereal-lily said...

hmmm...interesting.. i wonder whose annoyed our stillness..

Tranquility Speaks said...

ETHEREAL LILY: Not very difficult to guess is it? Just some pests from work! :-)