Saturday, July 4, 2009

In response to the parched earth




Most of you would do a double take if some one were to tell you they hated the rains. Who hates the rains? I did ! Until ofcourse I saw the picture above (Uhm.Ahem. Errr. Blush. Whatever :D ) All I could associate the rains with was muck all over the place, dirty clothes and shoes, gloomy weather and exams. Ofcourse my perception did a volte face, post the print commercial for Incredible India's campaign on Kerala in the Monsoons. I remember me and my room mate carefully cutting it out and sticking one copy on the cupboard and another on the wall. We spent a substantial amount of time gawking at it each day. It remained there till some miscreant ran away with them. A sight for sore eyes it is. The rains ofcourse! (What else were you thinking anyways!) The aroma of the earth after the first rains. The arid landscape suddenly coming alive with lush greenery. The slight chill in the air. The breath of fresh air. The sounds of crickets in the cool of the night. The freshness of flora with drops of rain resting gently the morning after. Everything freshly scrubbed clean and brand new. The surreal feeling of a fascinating hill station tucked in far away from the din of the city in the lap of nature. Untouched by human hand. This is now, and that was then.

Now ofcourse, the monsoons are synonymous with the following :

Monsoons for me are incomplete if I don't listen to this sung by
Shubha Mudgal.
Again reminiscent of the time when I was growing up.


A time for hot cups of coffee on the terrace, unlimited helpings of chai (tea) and pakode. Time to
experience the downpour minus an umbrella spoiling the fun. Time for the blues. Time for
some romance ...in the Indian Rain


9 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Nema said...

Oh what a lovely photo haha :)
Most-if not all- of us have thought about this kiss-in-the-rain moment..it just idealizes the whole thingy :)
I haven't seen the videos yet, I'm not sure I will actually lol..don't know if I'll ever be interested in these kinda things.
But I'd love to give it a shot- of course :)
Keep posting!

Sparkling said...

You hated rains??!!! Tch.

Oh I so love the pic and the tagline is just toooo much! :p

My face is parched for the rains to fall on it and get it all rejuvanated (minus the facepack et al)and I just need to make sure when that happens I'm not wearing white :)

P.S: I was late this morning, thanks to a good friend of mine :p

Bernie said...

Stillness, please visit my latest blog, it is very special to me and comes from the heart....:-) Hugs

Bernie said...

Lovely post Stillness, and it gives me a whole new way to look at rain....A job well done my friend......:-) Hugs

Tranquility Speaks said...

KNEE: I know!! :D Actually I never thought of 'that' moment, but something about this picture appeals so much. Hmm. It now sits as my wallpaper :)

Those who've seen these videos on television would be able to relate to it much more. I wouldn't be interested in watching something in a language I don't know a thing about either. That's alright :D

STILL THINKING: I am still as lost in the picture as I was when I first saw it *dreamy eyed* The tagline needless to say rocks. Which is what I love about their campaigns :-)

White is the thing to wear my dear friend ;-) Tell me how that "Aha" moment went later *wicked grin*

P.S to your P.S: Tell me something I didn't already imagine :D

BERNIE: Don't you worry about my appearances on your page. Those who read me, always get read my me too! (How vain :D)

Thanks Bernie :-)

Scattered Thoughts... said...

First Picture.. Hmmmmm.. Ms. Saints.. whats happening.. :P

how can one hate rains.. you dont need a pic to love that.. come on.. though I must say pic will add an extra liking to the rains.. and guess another reason to go to Kerala :D

Tranquility Speaks said...

SCATTERED THOUGHTS: Ms. Saints does go off track every once in a while. But doesn't take unusually long coming back on it too :)

It sure did give a zing to the otherwise gloomy weather, and of course has me wanting to visit Kerala ever since :)

Adisha said...

Love the monsoons :) And I love that song too ... sooo peppy !!!:)

Tranquility Speaks said...

ADISHA: So full of life nahee :D