This is an article that appeared in the Times of India today. It's written by Vinita Dawra Nangia and no matter how hard I try, no matter how many redrafts I make, I'd never be able to write so beautifully,packing so much punch in just one piece.Nevertheless I wanted to share this with everyone and anyone who bothers to read this. It might be long, but trust you me, it's worth the time and effort:
"A colleague’s g-chat tagline read thus… “So, let’s put it like this: I asked for a small round ice-cream cake with a cherry on top. . . and I got a 3-tier German chocolate cake with an extra supply of mango soufflĂ© and butter cookies!! Now, that’s great. But the point is... where is my “small round ice-cream cake with a cherry on top?? Is that too much to ask for?” No, it isn’t too much to ask for. It was never too much. But maybe someone thought they would give you more than you wanted assuming that would make you happier. But they assumed wrong, didn’t they? You wanted just that one small cake, and all the big ones in the world cannot make up for the fact that you didn't get the one you really wanted. Things don’t always work out exactly as you want them to. And if the intensity of the desire was strong, then even though you may have got much more than you wanted, the craving for that one thing that escapes you never really goes away. Anjali, a friend, was working her way up to Head of Operations for a firm in Hyderabad. When promotion time came, another colleague made it to that slot while Anjali got a double promotion and was made the South Head, controlling all southern city ops. Even through the congratulations and accompanying euphoria, she admits to having felt back then a deep regret that she never could hold quite the post she had dreamt about! Today, five years later, though enjoying her job, she still wonders what it would have been like to have had her dream fulfilled and head Hyderabad ops! Would you say she was being ungrateful? Sure, you would. But then what about the boy who made it through the JEE IIT and yet committed suicide because he got Kharagpur rather than Delhi IIT, his first choice? He hadn’t got a better centre, but he did at least get into IIT. What about the many others who were nowhere on the merit list? Such disappointments occur when we allow our desires and dreams to overtake us and start living in anticipation of their fulfillment. A narrow focus makes us oblivious to all else but the goal in mind, very often blinding us to better options or greater pleasures just within our reach. A closed mind doesn’t allow us to enjoy that which we got instead of hankering after what escaped our clutches. And life carries on…a series of regrets and what ifs…. How does one avoid this trap? We all grow up hearing the adage, Jo hota hai achche ke liye hota hai — whatever happens, is for the best. And most of us grow up to believe it and pass it on to the next generation. Situations we have fought and protested against, turns of Fate we have cribbed about, or choices forced upon us that we have kicked out at — haven’t we all so often lived to bless these “adversities?” In retrospect, much of what we desired and didn’t get later seems like stuff we are well rid of, be it a job, a car, some particular house, a dream or even a lover! Life has a strange way of falling into a pattern as we move on, creating an interesting mosaic, which though unfathomable from near, assumes greater meaning as we move further away from it. There seems suddenly to have been a reason for whatever happened. Well, the reason was always there, I guess. Suddenly it seems comprehensible to us. As we move away from a situation and move on in life, we understand why we were denied certain things and how not getting others that we coveted actually was a great blessing for us. There seems to be a Power, someone up there who knows it all. Someone who has laid out the pattern and reveals it to us only bit by bit. As long as you trust in this, you may rest assured that life seems more manageable and you better equipped to handle it. This serves as a great source of solace too. Whenever you don't manage to get what you aimed for, you can always fall back on the face-saver that whatever happens, is for the best! However, let’s not sound facetious here. If you believe in the Power that be, great, if you don’t then you have to believe that the only reason you seem better off without what you got is because you convince yourself into believing so, and it’s no better than a case of sour grapes! I prefer to go with the first explanation…What about you? "


19 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
Ahhh, such a good message! Excellent writing indeed :) I absolutely believe that the absence of getting what you want or desire can very well be a positive in that it creates the space for something even more fitting and wonderful to come to you! I don't think its always immediate or that we shouldn't feel disappointment, but "everything happens for a reason!"
Hi Stillness. I am thankful so many times that I didn't get what I prayed for...things that I 'wanted.' At the time, I thought that was the best for me. The Lord knew better (of course)...but at the time, I didn't understand. I have to be patient and wait on the Lord...He knows what is best for me, and He always takes care of me. Thank you for sharing the message. There have been many times that I have said a prayer of thanksgiving to Him for not giving me what I wanted...but instead showing me and giving me what I needed. I hope that you have a blessed day.
Smiles and love from Jackie
Attitude makes a difference in any situation...being positive in all thoughts, brings to your life an abundance of good things.
If you're not happy with what you already have...you most likely won't be happy with what you want or get!
Some people live in regret their whole life and just become "Takers"...but, accepting and being grateful for what comes to you, gives you the gift of being satisfied and a "Giver"...
'Well, the reason was always there, I guess. Suddenly it seems comprehensible to us' - I don't think there'd hv been a better way to say this or for that matter, even u'stand it. And this makes even more sense when age befriends you :)
Ohh..this is such a good article :)
No wonder you want to write like her, though I still think you're one awesome writer!!
"It's for the best" has been my motto for some time now (I know you wouldn't believe it but my poetry doesn't say so much about my person lol).
Thanks for sharing dudette ;)
Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I am always happy to meet new people. My venting post was certainly a rotten time to have a new friend drop in to meet me though. Great to meet you, just the same:) I appreciate the advice about the part time job.
VICKY: Everything does happen for a reason and "Life has a strange way of falling into a pattern as we move on, creating an interesting mosaic, which though unfathomable from near, assumes greater meaning as we move further away from it." is something I couldn't agree more with!
I am glad this piece appealed to you :)
JACKIE: I read a line somewhere that said "God always gives you what you need, not always what you want". When situations are demanding and frustrating is when life tests our levels of patience, tolerance and resilience. But all of these have to remain intact, no matter how bad is the going!
You're more than welcome Jackie, and I'm happy that you found the time to go through as long an article as this!
WANDA: In total agreement with you. It's very very simple to slip into a mode where there are only grudges, ill-will, regrets and sadness. It's a bottomless pit. To accept what life doles out to you and move ahead expecting better things is difficult at times, but not impossible. Most of the time we dramatize our sorrows so much that they become bigger than us. There are people who have gone through worse stuff and are still going strong.
SPARKLING: True. It's that one moment of truth when it suddenly hits you and everything begins to make sense and the jigsaw puzzle that life was, reveals the picture
KNEE: Thanks Nema, I liked the article a lot too :) WOW! The "awesome writer" bit made me feel soooo good, thank you :D
Yea, your poems suggest something else altogether which worries me at times, but I am glad you're a positive person. Stay that way forever! May all the good things come to you always :)
KALEENA: I read through your blog archives and it saddened me to the core so much so that I could take it no more. I really pray that everything becomes alright at your end and the ray of sunlight that has been eluding you for so long, reveals itself. Take care!
Hi Stillness, This was a very good story indeed with the message that I have always agreed with. Things often times look so different when we look back and seem a little more comprehensible.
Hi again, Stillness. I haven't taken the time that I wanted to take in order to write you and check and see how you are doing. I do hope that things are going well with you. I think of you often, and I wanted to remind you of that. I appreciate all the kind words you have for me and for taking the time out from your busy schedule to stop by and visit. Take very good care of you, my friend.
Hugs and smiles from Jackie
DIANA: I can't agree more :-)
JACKIE: A sincere and heartfelt thank you :D I really can't ask for more! I so wish everyone was as nice, caring and sensitive as you! :)
Things aren't as smooth sailing as I expected, but in the end, all becomes ok. I just need a whole lot of patience, tolerance and faith in this new endeavor, because people here have this tendency of driving me crazy. Fortunately I've friends around who calm me down and are always there to assure me that all would be well. So it's going ...ok :)
And don't say things like busy schedule :-) This was my first love! A job is just coincidental and incidental :) I always have time for people I consider friends, no matter what I do. I might not be able to visit your blog daily, but that does not mean you've slipped down the priority list! No way!!
I so wish I can hug you when people are so nasty around :) Thanks Jackie, thanks a tone. God bless you and your family and may he grant your Mom excellent health :) Take care :)
Thank you, Stillness..
I visited with Mama yesterday, and she seems to be doing pretty well.
You continue to take care of you, please...and when people have the wrong attitude toward you, just stick your tongue out at them (in your mind!! not actually doing it, of course :)) ) That way, maybe a feeling of relief will come over you, and you will smile thinking that Jackie said to do this: "Nahhhh!"....smile...and go on about your job...the laugh will be on them... You take care of you, my friend. I'm right here....and I'll be baaaaaaack!
Always,
Jackie
Hey SS -- love the last few lines. wonderful and powerful words chosen. let me close my eyes and see which one i choose --- the smiling supreme power! gosh, i was sick for a few days now, and reading this makes me feel better. :)
I posted on my blog that it would be lovely that one day we could meet....It's a long way from India to the US....but, it's a small, small world. Take very good care of you, my friend.
Smiles from Jackie
Hi Very nice and thought provoking post. Thank you for sharing it.
I just found your blog and am enjoying reading it.
Rita
JACKIE: I am so glad to know your Mom is doing well! Good health is THE biggest asset we have..Bigger than anything that money can ever buy!
I am getting used to this new place and the people there, and yes I will try my very best to be indifferent to people who begrudge me so much! God bless them with sense and peace!!
EM: Hey EM! Nice to see you back! I've come to realise that accepting what comes your way makes life so much easier than always making a conscious effort to swim upstream. I am SO happy this helped you a wee bit. The writer has written this SO well! Blew me off really :) Thanks for stopping by one more time :)
JACKIE: It is indeed a small world. Who would have though that we would be friends in the first place!! The power of the internet and blogging never ceases to amaze me.
That certainly wasn't my last visit to the US. I shall make an appearance there again sometime, and whenever that happens I shall let you know. It would indeed feel so good to actually meet all of you- You, Wanda, Bernie, Vicky and so many more :D Touches me. I can't seem to thank you all enough for your time and care :)
RITA:You are more than welcome in this space and thank you so much for having stopped by! Since I didn't write it, I won't take any credit, but I sure had the same opinion about this article :-) Glad you took the time to go through it :D take care :-)
Yes....when you return to the U.S. sound the trumpet...the horn....the whistle... Stillness is here... I'll do my best to contact you...even if by phone! Wouldn't that be lovely.
It's late Saturday night here....Tomorrow is church. I play the piano and I play the keyboard...I'm usually the keyboardist....but the pianist is on vacation this week, so I'm lucky enough to be able to play a Baby Grand. It has a touch and feel all of its own. I send you a wish for a lovely weekend and a great week next week. You sound so good in your posts...and I hope that everything continues to go splendidly for you.
Smiles from Jackie
JACKIE: If we stay in touch till then, I shall let you know for sure as and when that happens. It would be so surreal- to have gotten in touch virtually and to be in touch in reality as well :-)
And being able to play the piano and the keyboard is fantastic!! Wow! I don't know either but would feel elated if I could do half of what you're capable of!!
I hope you have a wonderful week ahead too :D Loads of love :-)
Btw, SS, I'll always be stopping by every now and then...i will always be here. you are a gem!
EM: Thank you EM! That's very very kind of you. God bless :)
Post a Comment