
One day out of 365 to celebrate a family you get to choose. Enough? Not quite, but because someone chose to earmark it, celebrate it I did (Do I need a reason to celebrate? Hell no!! Give me salary and I will give you 101 ways of burning it. Friendship's day was a coincidence!)
If this day gives me a reason to catch up with friends I haven't seen in a year, I would say a day like this is definitely worth it! It's ironical that being in the same city we don't run into each other as much as we would want to. Saying that everyone has gone their own way, what with matrimony, post graduation, jobs et all, is such a flimsy excuse , I agree ( and yes you have my permission to throw rotten tomatoes at me) But sadly that is the way it is. I am more clued into what's happening in your lives (yes you my regular reader (Oh I can be so vain, and it feels SO good, thank you!)) than what's happening to someone in the same city. At times it saddens me no end to see us drifting away like this and a day like this is a desperate measure to catch up and stay together.
This day last year my friend wasn't married. The same day this year she is! It amazes me no end that something so huge awaits each of us, and at this moment in time we don't even know it! It might bring a turn around and it might take us to directions we never imagined we'd turn to. And here we sit and think that we've got our lives majorly figured out. Someone who isn't part of your existence today might run into you tomorrow and would make you go "Heck where were you all these years!". Friends, colleagues, someone special. Anyone. Someone up there has weaved such an interesting tapestry of events for each of us. All that we need is patience in abundance and humility to accept what life randomly throws at us.
There is a reason why they say that every relationship needs constant working upon. Left to themselves people can easily drift away. You could be spending all of your waking moments with them today and the same time next year, you might have no clue where they are and what they are doing. It takes some effort to keep reconnecting, and trust you me it's worth it! There was a reason why you clicked initially and became friends. That reason and many more need to be rediscovered every day every year. It's not always that you can afford to part with the precious. Simply because they don't make people like them anymore!
I cannot thank my stars enough to be blessed with friends who have come to mean the world to me after my family. Today they left no stone unturned to make it truly special for me. Revisiting the places which were our usual hangouts during our college days brought back so many fond memories. Eateries which have almost become our places of pilgrimage weren't left out of the itinerary either. The same pizza dripping with molten cheese tasted so much better and the same cup of Mocha tasted so divine with my best friend around.
But this leaves out an essential part of my friends circle. And that includes you. Each of you who read me are equally special to me. I know for a fact that I would have given up writing had it not been for you who care to read what's happening to me. Had it not been for your encouragement, support and appreciation, this place would have ceased to exist.
I don't know how each of you got here (I would really want to know if you have the time), but like I keep saying, I am mighty glad you found me. Distance might separate us, but I feel like I've known many of you since so long! We might be different as far as our modus operandi is concerned, but somewhere our thought process was identical which is why we continue to stay connected. Today you are here, tomorrow you might not be, and someone else might be, but I truly appreciate your presence at the moment and would like to

for being there for me and with me at every step in my life. I wish each of you limitless happiness and success :-)

18 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
Stillness....my friend....mys sweet friend. You have penned the words that I have thought all along since I started blogging. You are precious...and I consider you a friend and can't wait to get to your blog to see what you have been doing, been writing....how you are...simply all the things that one friend feels for another. Thank you for the sweet words. You mean the world to me.
Love and smiles from Jackie
Hello Stillness...Friends do make our lives special...Glad you reconnected with one...I am still connected with friends from grade school...some for over 55 years now...although I sometimes communicate more often with my special blogging friends, of which you are one Stillness...I came here originally from your friend's blog, Today's Writer...and am I happy I did...I agree with your outlook on life and enjoy your sweetly expressed complaints that you have once in a while! I wish you the best always.
Wanda
Hello my friend, and I am proud to call you friend....I have shared and learned so much from you and you have always shown such wonderful support and encouragement. If my memory serves me correctly I think I followed my friend Wanda here....Friends are so important Stillness, I find their love, support and sharing their lives with me makes my world a better and more beautiful place. Always keep your friends close to your heart.........:-) Hugs
Hi Stillness,
What a nice assignment to have. Find some friends and get reaquainted! I love it. Sounds like you did too! I came to your blog from Wanda or Bernie's. I can't remember anymore. And I started blogging as per my daughters advice, to keep me cam and relaxed. I and too feel like everyone in blog world are friends to me. It's good to hear from you again. I know you are busy now.
Remember when you asked me about how I got your blog in the first place?
Well, I'm thinking now that whichever was the way I found your blog and got to know you, I'm just gladly proud I do now.
This is such a LOVELY post and I'm so glad I'm mentioned there (doesn't matter literally, or I'm thinking "reader" it the literally word for me :) ).
You should know you teach me so many good things, and if I had to dedicate something to you I'd dedicate my latest thought "To Let Be"..I wish there was a way to thank you.
and thank you for inspiring me, I think I'm gonna write a dedication on facebook to my friends.
Rock on!
JACKIE: I am so thankful for all of your care and concern. I don't know what I did to deserve so much goodness, but please don't move an inch :D and continue coming back. I so look forward to hearing from you both here and in your space, and I am so grateful you let me be a part of your world :D God bless :)
WANDA: Which is amazing Wanda! I genuinely wish I never loose touch with my best friends who mean everything to me :D
I am mighty glad I am accepted warts et all so graciously by you and the others who've come to know me through you. Blog ville would never be the same without you. Do stay in touch. You are very special to me :-)
BERNIE: I learn something new from you every single day and I am ever so grateful that you Wanda, Jackie, Diana and Vicky let me become a part of your lives. Truly means a lot to me and I so look up to each of you with deep respect and admiration!
DIANA: Good friends are so very precious. Few and far in between. It's nice to take special care of the bond we share with them :-)
I certainly agree with you. Blogging is so therapeutic and cathartic. And to have people like you come over is like an icing on the cake :D Thanks Diana for being there
KNEE: I am mighty glad you found me girl. Whenever I talk about blogging to anyone I always mention this girl from Egypt and I feel SO SO proud. You are a poetess par excellence and I mean every word of that! The day you become famous, do remember me and mention me in the newspaper interviews ;-)
I am so glad Nema that you connect with my writings and it is helping you in some way or the other. And thank you SO much for the dedication. Somehow out of all your posts, this one appealed to me the post. I SO am in love with this :-)
One way to thank me would be to keep coming back here. That would be my biggest reward. I wish to know more about you and want to remain in touch with you and the others here for as long as I exist :-) Take care Nema :)
Happiness and joy to you too, always sweetheart...
My best friend wrote a note to me y'day, I'm sure we've read it so many times but it still doesn't lose on its essence:
'Friendship isn't abt whom you have known the longest, who came first or who cares the best. It's all about who came and 'never left'!
And somehow I felt it just couldn't have been said any better.
So my dear bogger friend, it has been a pleasure to know you and read you and I wish you not just today, but every day of your life a 'Happy Friendship's Day' and may you always be surrounded by your chosen family ;)
TC
Lovely writing and sentiment! I think I followed a comment of yours over from Jackie's blog. I think when we share our thoughts, and feelings and lives here on our blogs, there is an intimacy that builds rather quickly. I find my everyday conversations with people in real life not nearly as in depth usually because of time constraints :) But here I have a captive audience for whatever and whenever I have something to say! I have enjoyed getting to know you and hope to continue to do so :) Here's to friends!
I've been out of circulation but have truly missed ur posts :) Happy Friendships Day to you too Dear ... So good to read the wonderful post dedicated to all those who care ... :)
SPARKLING: Bang on Mademoiselle! It's about who came and never left. (Precisely my point! Why do people always want to leave!! I must be one big repellent..Hmm)
It's been an absolute pleasure knowing you as well my dear Sparkling, I only wish I could read you too, because you write so So SO well :) You are one of those I feel I've known for so long with me discovering something in common with you everytime I interact with you :)
I wish for you the world's happiness and EVERYTHING good that your heart desires :) Limitless love to you :)
VICKY: Thank you so much Vicky :D That is precisely how I feel. Blogging is one form of social networking that goes deeper than anything else. More than the 'Hi hello, how are you doing and what's up'. I am really grateful for having you around and reading what you are upto :) Cheers to friends :)
ADISHA: Where have you been my dear friend? Missed reading you. Your thoughts have so much depth and it's like translating mine to words :) I am ever so grateful to everyone who bothers to read me and leave a comment. So eagerly look forward to them :D take care :)
Stop wearing 'HIT' and start using 'Pleasures' - I can vouch there won't be any repel thereafter :p
Hey, just click my ID and you'll be able to read, I'm back to baby steps in blogville and it somehow feels good :)
Hmm.. isnt it ironic that we need a day to remember our friends or beloved ones? Call me a nerd but I can never really relate to these friendship, valentine, chocolate days and what not..
Hi Stillness....It's Tuesday night here. Tomorrow morning is the first day of school for our students here in this county. My granddaughter (8 years old) is sooo excited. I'm excited for her. I hope she is always excited about school and learning...that means she is soaking it up...it is fun for her....and she won't ever grow tired or bored with learning. I send you a great big smile....and wishes for a wonderful remainder of the week.
Love,
Jackie
SPARKLING: I peeped into your blog and the makeover is amazing! You call that baby steps!! Then this space must be pre-historic!!
SCATTERED THOUGHTS: Remembering days, dates and events is somehow a very girl/ woman things to do :D Distinctly reminds me of the title track of Hum Tum :)
It sure is ironic, but for all those who conveniently go off to sleep in a friendship/ relationship/ whatever ship, this is a wake up call me thinks. For those who always prioritise them, ofcourse it is unnecessary :-)
JACKIE: I'm sorry I can in here late to reply to this comment.
That is what I so adore about children. They have that fire, that enthusiasm to do things whole heartedly which the adults begin to loose as they grow up. Children always function full throttle and that is just so amazing! I hope your grand daughter never thinks of learning as something that is imposed forcefully on her! Hugs to her :-)
I hope your week was great and satisfying :-) Take care!
Hello, my friend. You are on my mind tonight, and I wanted to stop in and say hello to you. I hope that you are doing well.
It has been nice weather here for the past few days...and the nights are beautiful...the moon seems much brighter than usual. All in all, a lovely week here. I send you a warm hug...
Love,
Jackie
My dear Stillness, are you okay, I am a bit concerned as I haven't heard from you for almost a week...won't you drop me a line and let me know all is alright? I am praying that you are out dancing and having fun with your friends......Luv ya, ....:-) Hugs
JACKIE: Hi Jackie! It always feels SO VERY GOOD to have you come over to see how I am doing :D
I am doing well here, thanks for asking :) How is school and how are the children post vacation? It is so nice to know that you are enjoying wonderful weather there! I've been noticing the moon too every single night, for the past one week, peeping every now and then from behind the clouds. I stand and stare till someone pulls me back in. It is SO beautiful I agree :)
Here's wishing you a rocking weekend my dear friend :)
BERNIE: I shall drop you a mail rightaway :)
Stillness....just so you won't think you are seeing things...now you see them....now you don't...
I changed the photo on my blog...
It's so good to hear from you.
The moon has been cloud-covered one night this week...but even that was spectacular.
School is going well...and I send you a warm smile.
I'll be back.....of course!!
Love,
Jackie
Post a Comment