Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A SONG IN YOUR HEAD..

Have you ever woken up in the morning to a song playing in your head? On and on and on? In a loop? And it isn't what you listen to every day. It's very different. Maybe a very old song with great lyrics. Maybe a long forgotten tune. A haunting melody, a jingle with a whole lot of catchy repetitions.


The poor little thing gets stuck there and you end up humming it all day. Singing it repeately to people who really don't care to listen to it and would rather have you shut up! Inviting curious stares and sympathies too at times. So is my case as I woke up to a song which was composed before I was even born. For those who care to know what it is, it is "Na jaane kyon from the movie Chotee see baat" (Translates to "I wonder why" from the movie "A trivial and small conversation") ( Can anyone do a better job of translation?)

Now what I didn't know about it is that it has a medical term!! They prefer to call the stuck in the head songs "earworms". No. The term for some reason does not sound as pleasant as the song. Why? Reminds me of centipedes and earthworms! You might not even know all the words but the little that you remember you keep singing.

The only way to "scratch" brain itch is to repeat the song over and over in your mind. Unfortunately, like with mosquito bites, the more you scratch the more you itch, and so on until you're stuck in an unending song cycle (courtesy www.howstuffworks.com)

Now why that song, and nothing else? The medical fraternity must be researching on this in some part of the world. So as soon as the results are out and they get to me, I shall let you know. Sounds good? Till then patience my friend! Talking of research, one research does suggest that the susceptible group comprises women, musicians and people who are neurotic, tired or stressed. Ehem. Now don't try putting me into a category just yet. I am still figuring out where I belong!

They have even come up with a list on how to get the song which is stuck, out of your head! (Aren't there better things to research on??!! I am dead sure there are!! I do realize how grim the out of work situation is.Only now!! Stillness can be sarcastic. Oh yeah! *wicked grin*)

I've had days when I've sung the chorus of a song, over and over all day for several days at a stretch. My room mates suspected that I was drunk and patiently waited for me to get sober ( Inside information: I wasn't drunk!! And was asked to shut up when the acoustic torture went beyond the permissible limit and For all those who are researching on how to get it unstuck, this works!

Till it comes unstuck "Na jaane kyon" (I don't know why!!)

12 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Diana said...

Oh Tranquility my husband swears that if you actually listen to a recording of said song, it will leave you alone after that!
When my husband is home this happens quite often with both of us. Katie will say a word or a phrase and he and I will just break out in song! It drives her crazy poor kid! She has such corny parents!
Love Di

Bernie said...

Hi Stillness, this has happened to me many times and I just smile and sing along for as long as its in my mind. In fact most of the songs that does this to me are great songs.
Love you.......:-) Hugs

Wanda..... said...

Hi Stillness,
Well, I don't have a problem with a song stuck in my mind and bothering me...but I do a lot of humming...the odd thing for me is sometimes it's Christmas songs in the middle of summer.

BTW...the pain in my thumbs is just part of getting older; I "am" 64...so unless it gets worse...I can live with it.
I always get the idea you are involved some way with the medical field, Stillness...I know Todays Writer was, but I don't hear from her lately...Take care!

Always,
Wanda

Sparkling said...

Holy Moly!
Well, I don't have any scientific answer to this or an intelligent take to it, but I can say one thing; why this song? Hmmm...looks like there's lot of love around! :D

'...achanak yeh dil kissi ke jaane ke baad karey usko yaad, choti choti yeh baat...na jaane kyun...'

Lol!

Tranquility Speaks said...

DIANA: I tried that yesterday and for the rest of the day, all was quiet above. But come today and the same song's playing! Yet again! Shall just listen to it some more till probably I learn the lyrics!

BERNIE: Shall probably be singing along till I am tired of my own voice! :-)

WANDA: I'm not even remotely related to the medical field. Just that I am curious and want to know what goes wrong and how that can be remedied! Yea, she's been missing for months now!

SPARKLING: This song wasn't deliberately hand picked! Trust me!! Day 2 and it's still stuck there! And stuck so bad, that I might have to memorize the lyrics... All that goes on in a loop is "Naa Jaane kyon, hota hai yeh zindagee ke saath" Gosh!! Holy Moly indeed!! :D

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Ms. Speaks, you are damn too lucky my friend.. For the simple reason, its such a nice song..

Guess which song I am stuck with right now.. Emosanal Atyachar.. wifey is all set to divorce me if I dint stop singing this in a day or two.. Heavens help :(

Till then.. TAUBA TERA JALWA.. TAUBA TERA PYAR... TERA EMOSANAL ATYACHAR..

Now your homework.. do the translations :P

Scattered Thoughts... said...

oh and did I mention that singing the songs include the music as well.. ten te te ten te te... got the idea :D

Vicky said...

Stillness, I finally got the right URL for your site :) So sorry, thanks for calling attention to it!

Earworms, I love finding names for things I didn't know existed! And yes, in research circles which I just know a bit about, sometimes the more novel your idea, ahem, "bizarre/trivial" the more it will stand out!

Great work on an interesting topic!

Tranquility Speaks said...

SCATTERED THOUGHTS:Been there, done that, know EXACTLY what you're talking about!

No matter what I am asked. No matter what's going on. No matter what I'm doing, it's "Na Jaane kyon...Hota hai yeh zindagee ke saath". Tch

VICKY: Thanks for making note of it Vicky. I should have paid greater emphasis on this earlier. I'm sorry I didn't

Yea! They choose to call it earworms! Good heavens! And you are SO right. The greater the absurdity or the lesser the use, the deeper it is researched on! Or so I'd like to think!

Nema said...

hahaa..that was cool!
I don't really have a solution to that, but I do listen to it over and over again till I bore the song itself (yup, not me heh!) and then it shall leave me alone! :D

Good luck :D

Bernie said...

Stillness, please send me your link again, when I clicked on blogs I am following it brings up your old name and says you haven't posted in 2 weeks. When I clicked on this post tonight to follow it tells me I am already following you. I am not sure what else to do as I have you listed Rendzvous with Stillness on my list, do you have any ideas? Love you....Hugs

Tranquility Speaks said...

KNEE: I'm much better now. Thanks :)

BERNIE: I think we've resolved this for now :)