A tee-shirt quote I read long ago went "If you think money can't buy happiness, you don't know where to shop". (Now before you start thinking, this isn't about how useless money is. I know exactly how to blow up every single rupee I earn and not regret it :D) But there is something I've realized. Having limitless wads of currency makes no sense if you've no one to spend it on, or spend it with (Totally my take on this. Call me insane or what you will). Most of our efforts are directed towards making more and more. Either to give our loved one's a better life or to live comfortably with the best that life has to offer. No harm that I can foresee in doing that. But if there isn't that someone who can love you unconditionally, accept you at your worst, still not give up on you and care for you without expecting anything in return, it just doesn't seem to be worth it! To be loved and cared for is simply priceless. And that definitely doesn't take a lot of money. Infact it has very little to do with it. A text message asking you if you've eaten. A phone call because you are being missed. A shy smile when someone teases you with your beloved. A tiny gesture to show that your company is cherished at all times. Genuine appreciation that gets you on top of cloud 9. How much do all of these cost? (Alright, where IS this going!!!Ahem)
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
1 year ago

14 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
So true, Stillness, no rotten tomatoes from me :) My dh and I left high paying jobs and moved back here to our childhood town with no jobs. But its the happiest we've been in a long time. Lots of money was hollow compared to what we have gained which is time for family and making friends and community involvement... etc. And now we have a successful small business started from nothing and feel released from chasing financial dreams :)
Well done post :)
Very true Stillness, Love is still the best we can acquire in our lifetimes....just sad we can't pay the bills with it especially in this economy. If we all would think like you, perhaps a way could be found to be able to live on love.
Doing things for others is another favorite of mine, comes back to me many times over.
I have said it before my young friend, you are wise beyond your years. Have a wonderful day.....luv ya....:-) Hugs
VICKY: Thank you so much :D I really look up to and respect you and your husband for having taken a step that few can dare to take. Getting out of the comfort and familiar zone is something few can do. People often complain about their lot, but do precious little to change it. Proud to know you Vicky :D
BERNIE: Yes love cannot help pay the bills. But it can give you the strength, confidence and assurance to do something which could pay the bills. Doing something difficult gets easier when you know that no matter what happens all day, there is someone you can always go back to. Someone who will never leave your side no matter what happens :)
On second thoughts, I may not be as wise as you think I am! What I wrote about is way too idealistic me thinks. Not practical at all. Which is why most people don't lead their lives that way :) Dreaming on sheer bliss :)
Once you finish w/ that homework, please do let me know how you felt :)
To be honest, as of now, I really do not know what I 'really' want.
Hi Stillness,
I agree with Bernie, it's sad that we can't pay the bills with just love and caring! But I do believe that money can't buy you love or happiness.
I remember something that my oldest daughter said to me once years ago. I didn't work all through their school years. We would have had more money if I did.
I stayed home with them even through high school. After my daughter moved out she said to me " I am so glad that you were there for us everyday mom." We were not rich at all and I probably could have bought more things for them if I worked but I wanted to be there all the time for them. I know now that they appericiated it! Love Di
If I needed to choose...I'd rather be a poor person living among family and friends than rich and living among strangers, but at the same time society deems you need money...more and more people are turning toward a simpler way of life...and trying to be self sufficient...homesteading and bartering for goods and services.
We all need deeper meaning to our lives than pursuing money, still money is needed to provide for our families, but making memories with family and friends...being there for each other and sharing and caring is more rewarding and should never take second place.
Girl, don't you wanna publish a book? I would've definitely given you every chance to get published, you are amazing!
lol I love that homework thingy :) my fave thing with my mobile is sms a missed friend, tell them they're missed..or just sms another one wishing them a happy day...it makes me feel deeply happy.
You know..my father's one of those persons who think that money can buy love..it's so sad failing the social life could lead to this.
Beautiful write my dear :)
SPARKLING: You know something...there are many times when we are unsure of what we want, but someone up there knows what is best for us and He makes sure that, that is precisely what happens. We might "think" we want something, but if we don't get it, it's perfect because something MUCH better awaits us. I am sure you know this, but this is something that I've come to believe 200% off late and something that I am reminded of every single day now. Keep going Sparkling. Whatever makes you happy is the thing to do and the path to take.
DIANA: I respect you so much for the decision that you took. Even when kids grow up, the best gift that you can give them is your time. Everyone seeks unconditional support and that is something that money can't buy! When a child comes back to tell you this, everything -the pain the sacrifices-seems worth it doesn't it :) ?
WANDA: Ofcourse we need money, but making money your sole goal in life just gives stress. Not happiness. That is what I was trying to get to.
In total agreement with your views. You've left me with nothing more to add because you have summarized it so beautifully :) Loads of love to you Wanda :)
KNEE: Thanks Nema, thank you so much. I honestly believe I've miles to go before I think of writing a book and hoping that people will read it. I am never satisfied with my writing, or maybe my thought process :)
Giving gives happiness of a kind that taking can never match! Letting people know you are thinking of them is just so Sweet Nema :D
A lot of people think that money can buy happiness, you dad isn't the only one, but one day they will realize that even though money was important, it certainly wasn't more important than relationships with family and with the loved ones. You know Nema, I am glad that you agree with my views here. I am also very happy that you know that even though money can't be dispensed with, there are things that are far more important and high priority! Loads of love to you :)
Love and kindness are more precious than money any day. The simple things in life are always the nicest. the little kindnesses that you speak of, are sometimes the only bright thing in someones day.
My grandma used to say "Always give everyone you meet something. If you have nothing to give, give a smile or a kind word or a sincere compliment."
Very nice post. Thank you.
Hugs
Rita
Stillness...your wisdom is far beyond your years. I am blessed to have you as a blogging friend.
Doing a favor for anyone is no small task...each favor...each act of kindness is indeed a large gift.
Love to you, my friend.
Jackie
RITA: I agree with you TOTALLY! And your grandma passed on a gem of an advise to you! Follow it all your life, and now that I know it, I will too :D Thanks Rita :)
JACKIE: SO GOOD to see you back Jackie! I hope you're doing well ! And a heartfelt thank you for your kind words of appreciation. It's my pleasure anyday to be your friend :)
At times all that someone wants is a little hope, a little care and a genuine smile to get through the day. And none of these cost a thing. You know our country has decided to start a campaign titled "Joy of Giving Week" wherein for a stipulated duration everyone will give back to society in terms of cash, skills, services or just lending a helping hand. I will participate for sure :)
bhari lag ra hai bhai.. dobara aakar padhenge!! till then...
Oye! Yeh kya ho gaya?
Btw, I totally love the new name of your blog - ab sirf chai and biskut chahiye and we can start w/ the rendezvous ;)
SCATTERED THOUGHTS: Really? That bad huh!
SPARKLING: I changed the name so no one sues me for having taken the name of this book without any permission and now that I think of it, the alteration reminds me of "Rendezvous with Simi Garewal". Man!! Originality eludes me! But me shall keep it till something better hits me
Post a Comment