I am assuming children don't read my space (or if they do, they don't tell me). No I am not about to discuss stuff that needs parental guidance. I was just wondering how different life was in our growing up years. When life wasn't as complicated. When I was growing up, my parents used to narrate stories of how in their times, four wheelers is what the uber rich could afford and how deserted the streets of Delhi (The capital of India) used to be. Cycles were the only mode of transportation or maybe hand pulled rickshaws. How there was no electricity in those days and how they used coal to light up the kitchen fire. To make national calls, they had to book trunk calls, stand in long queues .Those calls were prohibitively expensive and were made only when required. International calling was unthought of. When I was born my grandfather sent a telegram to my dad, telling him that mother and daughter are doing fine, which my dad still possesses. I don't even know how a telegram is sent! Who would have thought in a day and time like that, that there is going to be a device which you could hold in your hand, and call whoever you want, whenever you want, wherever in the world the person might be! No waiting in lines, no burning a hole in your pocket. People communicated with those who lived far away by writing letters. Now there are emails. It used to take anything between 15 days to a month for the letter to get to it's destination. And now not even a minute. Air travel wasn't frequent. For long distances there were ships. Now there are luxury cruises. Who would have imagined this! Those were the days of joint families with everyone from the great grand parent to the great grand child living together. Today is a day of nuclear families.
'The Door'
14 years ago

13 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
It is so true...
What astonishes me is the short length of time that all this has been accomplished...compared to the time line of history...
But the circle of life is evident in more ways than one...people wanting to return to a simpler life style...the Amish do it...but even they relent on some things.
I enjoy the conveniences of computers and cell phones. My grandchildren have a phone...when they walk here through the woods or if they are just out playing...it eases my mind, their parents confiscate them in the evening though. It's up to parents always to establish boundaries, set examples of good behavior and show love, trust, and respect!
You will make a good parent I'm sure Stillness!
Always,
Wanda
I think that we live in a much more disposable society today. You know, if it breaks throw it away and get a new one. It has been one of the hardest things to teach my Katie, to take care of what she has.
Your generation as with my two adult children have learned that lesson as they have always worked hard for what they have so there is still a bit of that "old school" thought there.
Technology can be a good thing as Wanda mentioned, I feel much better knowing that Katie has a phone with her at all times.
But as I stated before I also think that it makes us too much of a disposable society which in turn makes children today feel that they are entitled to everything new.
Parents tend to use technology as a babysitter instead of conversation. Even with the internet you can't beat conversation!
Love Di
Tranquility,
Read all available posts and saw Mr Bean going off to sleep. Earworms, I too have them at times. One should be clear to those whom help is rendered that this is my limit and am trying so do not expect miracles. Music does soothen frayed nerves. Change is the way of life. And we also have to pay a price for advancement or progress. We have cell phones for hassle free and fast communication but when did you last see a common sparrow? We could make a list of losses and it will be astonishing. Nuclear families, where is the gratitude or respect? Do you think children brought up by nannies bond well with parents or the ones who are cared for by grandparents do? It is we who spoil our children in a SHOW OFF attitude. We have to give children their due and let them have freedom for growth but values too need to instilled from young age itself and it can be done better by example. After certain age children ought to be treated more as friends than kids. OMG, long comment.
Take care
Its very tricky to find a balance these days in parenting. You try to instill the values you were raised with but they don't always account for our modern conveniences and the immediacy they bring.
I think some of our return to the established, older values comes with the economic recession. But I embrace that return whatever the contributing factors might be!
Very thoughtful post as usual!
Two sides to every coin: While there are some things that have definitely changed for the better, there are also the others that have just been abused.
When I read this post there's just one thing that came to my mind; have you ever noticed fashion closely? I think fashion is one thing that is always brought back every few years and turned into a fad for the current times, hai na? :D
You'll make a cool mother, Ms. Speaks, very cool! :)
Hai..
Soooo good post. I could relate evry sentense to mu thoughts. Thanks alot. Yes, many things havebeem changed and they will change as well.
I'm very much impressed about their last paragraph..:) liked it very much..:)
Keep Expressing!
WANDA Now I didn't know about Amish, but since you mentioned it, I did read up quite a bit on it. And yes, here are people who understand what simple living and high thinking is all about.
The latest inventions have indeed made our lives simpler and more convenient, but like you said, it's up to the parents to instill the right values in children and make sure these modern conveniences aren't abused and children don't forget what humility, honesty, integrity, respect and love are all about.
Thanks Wanda, but I will come back for more tips :)
DIANA: I know! And I so hate the use and throw attitude people have adopted for everything and anything. Even relationships.
I agree with you, cellphones are such a boon! But the main idea was to stay connected, but in some cases even this convenience hasn't manged to bridge distances. Even though people are one phone call away, that call isn't made. And someone keeps waiting. Which isn't nice.
But yeah. Nothing beats that handwritten letter and the in person chat :)
JACK: Thank you so much for patiently going through all my posts. I really appreciate that :)
I totally agree with you about setting expectations. That is SO important!
Which is why I guess people are going back to the old ways. In TOTAL agreement with your views. You leave me with nothing to say! Your views are way too profound. Thank you for sharing that insight with me :)
VICKY: True ! What my parents were brought up with, needs a little bit of fine tuning in today's time, and that will hold true for the subsequent generations too!
Thanks Vicky :-)
SPARKLING: Fashion is precisely what I had in mind when I wrote the last paragraph! There was an elegance and grace, which has gone missing in today's dare bare generation clothing. So me thinks. Told you I am growing old :D
Thanks Sparkling. Now how cool, remains to be seen :)
PRAMODA MEDURI: Thank you SO much :-)
This justifies all the more the need to pray and to be kind. A world of people so demanding is self centered and we must become other centered in order for peace and harmony to exist.
I am very grateful for our advances as they have enabled me to be in touch with you and many other fine people and hopefully all of this communication between others, both distant and near, will cause more understanding and kindness to flourish.
blessings,
marcy
So much wisdom! Are you sure you don't have a child tucked away somewhere ?:) :D
MARCY:I couldn't have summed it up better Marcy! There is more to life than the material trappings. And we have to discover and revel in those :)
I am equally grateful to stuff that didn't exist earlier, for bringing people across nations and cultures together. A meeting of minds in the true sense of the phrase :-)
PREETI SHENOY: I am grinning. Grinning bad :D
Stillness, I posted here yesterday but don't see my comment...did you not receive it?.....:-) Hugs
BERNIE:No Bernie..I didn't receive your comment :(
Post a Comment