Monday, February 1, 2010

HORSE SENSE
It can always be done
Seek and you will find
LATA JAGTIANI 


    Aman invited Mulla Nasruddin to go hunting with him, but gave him a slow horse and kept the fast one for himself. He sped away and Nasruddin lagged behind. Soon it began to rain and the Mulla was alone. He took off all his clothes and then he sat down on the pile of clothing. Once the rain stopped, he wore the clothes again and reached his host’s house for lunch. The host could not understand how he was wet while the Mulla was dry and asked him how this happened. Nasruddin answered, “It’s because of the horse you gave me.” The next day, the host gave the Mulla his fast horse and kept the slow one for himself. When it began raining, Nasruddin did the same thing and when the 
host met him, he was furious, because he was wet again and the Mulla was dry. He shouted, “It’s all your fault. I got wet because you made me ride that terrible horse!” 
    So, often we are inclined to find fault with our workplace, our colleagues, friends, family and clients when the fault may in fact be with us. It may be that we have done nothing to look for the best solution for a certain problem. Instead, we might be preoccupied in blaming others for our own inability to make use of what is called ‘horse sense’. 
    As the saying goes, ‘It’s not the horse that counts, it’s the rider’. The rider makes a huge difference. There are plenty of rags-to-riches stories. However, most of these point to the fact that every time specific, but inevitable, challenges arise — and they always do — the rider, perhaps like a poor but enterprising man, comes up with innovative ways to overcome these challenges. There are those who, at the very hint of a challenge, might have thrown in the towel or changed tracks, fretted and fumed. But the man who chooses to handle his problems the way Mulla Nasruddin did — who found a way to remain dry even when faced with a downpour — always emerges triumphant, whether he rides a slow horse or a fast one. That is, regardless of whether he has the means or tools to surmount problems, and whether or not his circumstances are conducive or unfriendly, he does manage to find a way. 
    Often, we are so obsessed with our problems that we forget to look for ways to solve them. Anthony de Mello recounted the story of a man who had lived for many years with a sage and felt that he had gained no real wisdom during his time of tapasya. He asked the sage why he had failed to grasp the sage’s wisdom. The sage replied, “When I point to the moon, you don’t look at it; you keep staring at my finger. I am only the finger pointing to the moon, you cannot achieve realisation by looking at me or my finger!” Being distracted, looking at other issues, agonising over the past, regretting your actions or lamenting your destiny can lead to no progress; the only way forward is to take what you have at your disposal and do your best with it — without seeking out the ‘villains’ who put you in that hapless state. Whether the horse is slow or fast, the rider who weathers the storm has to be a Nasruddin. For that, you need to think out of the box and act swiftly
(Taken from Times of India Crest Edition)

11 people were gracious enough to leave comments:

Wanda..... said...

Placing blame, finding fault with others, or making excuses get you no where. I have always been a stay at home mom or grandmother, mostly dealing with children, trying to teach them to make good decisions in these areas.
I love thinking outside of the box in decorating with old items, solving household problems and cooking! I come up with some weird dishes sometimes Stillness, but the Naan bread was very good, we had it with a spicy stir-fry.
Smiles to you.....Wanda

Bernie said...

Looking to blame anyone is just a waste of time and energy...nothing will ever be accompolished by doing that.
Have a great week sweetie....Hugs

Jackie said...

A great post. As I was reading it, I was thinking that you wrote this..and I'm thinking, "Stillness needs to quit whatever she is doing and become a writer!" Great, great blog. A lot of lessons to be learned about dealing with problems...and blaming. Thank you for sharing this, my friend.
Love,
Jackie

Diana said...

I felt somehow that this was written for me Tranquility. I am forever having to deal with challenges as do others of coarse. First I panic for a bit and then I sort of walk away and let things work themselves out. I strongly believe that the answers are always there. And if we can't find them, they WILL find us.
Love Di

Jack said...

Tranquility,

Finally got around to reading all pending posts. Hope and pray that 2010 proves to be good for you. Sales are mostly a gimmick. It does give you a high when you do something for the one you hold dear. How is your manager these days? Is she still the terror, making you work without a break? It is but human nature to find scapegoat for own failures.

Take care

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Hmm.. so Ms. saints is back :) Moral of the story? One should be solution oriented.. not problem oriented.. did I get it right :)

Tranquility Speaks said...

WANDA: I realized that after a very bad bout of blaming the people around me! Been there done that many times in the past, but I'm gradually learning to be more tolerant and understanding, again thanks to those around me :-)

I am so so glad the Naan turned out good. If possible, do post a few of those pictures. I'd be delighted :)

BERNIE: I certainly realize that now. Hope I never find myself blaming anyone for anything, take responsibility for my actions and be more tolerant and understanding. You have a nice week ahead too!

JACKIE: Oh no! I didn't write this, but this was like something from up above, for me, when I needed it the most. When I was at my negative best! I shall always remember this story, the next time I get the urge to blame. Loads of love to you :-)

DIANA: And I felt it was written for me, and came into my notice when I needed to read it the most. You are so wise when you say "the answers are always there. And if we can't find them, they WILL find us." I shall remember that :-) By the way my approach to dealing with problems is very similar :D

JACK: My manager has been very good to me ever since I started working under him. So far so good :-) I am just way too human I guess :-)

SCATTERED THOUGHTS: I should seriously consider becoming a nun. What do you think? :-)

By the way, you could become a management guru! Really liked your One should be solution oriented.. not problem oriented

Sparkling said...

Lol!

To be honest I still didn't get how the Mulla managed to stay dry.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I can never think out of the box! :(

Vicky said...

What a great story and so, so true! He kept his clothes dry by taking them off and putting them underneath himself... brilliant! And here it at first seemed like it had something to do with the horse, but truly it didn't matter at all... such a great lesson in life!! Thanks for sharing stillness :)

Scattered Thoughts... said...

Saint Cathedral Goa? This will help in case you change your mind later on.. Goa is happening.. no?

Me Management Guru.. LOL!! too much

Tranquility Speaks said...

SPARKLING: I had the same thought, but maybe it wasn't a heavy downpour after all!! :-)

VICKY: You are more than welcome :-)

SCATTERED THOUGHTS: Makes a lot of sense! :-)