Disclaimer: The following post may come across as morbid and boring. You may skip it if you wish to.
I haven't had a holiday in a long time. My weekly offs are consumed by the course I am taking. I am not complaining. That's a life I've chosen for myself and I quite like it. I've taken two additional leaves since my sister is leaving. I am not too happy with her imminent departure. I know I am being unreasonable. Someone up there was kind enough to get her stay extended by invoking an airline strike the day she had to leave. Just doesn't feel enough :-)
It's after ages when I got to wake up obnoxiously late, and read the Sunday newspapers. That's something I love to do. Again I'm content as everything in moderation is perfect for me.
But there's so much in my head that just refuses to settle down.
How fair is it to live your life through your children's? Expect them to be an exact replica of yourself or someone else's children? Expect them to have prim and proper manners and never voice their wants or needs? To always adjust and to always be submissive? Is it only when children have the above "qualities" can you call them obedient?
If someone were to ask me, I'd say that even though your children are your own life and blood, they do have a life and mind of their own. They are unique and can never and should never be "like" anyone else. Taking care of children goes beyond feeding them. There has to be an emotional connect wherein the child can confide in you and not worry about how you'll react and make life miserable for the child.
Many parents aren't too wrong in their approach as they don't want their children to go astray, develop bad habits and end up in bad marriages. But somewhere there is a gap between what the parents think is right and the children's point of view. A huge gap. The times where the parents generation grew up was different. Times now are different. What was unacceptable then is acceptable now without killing the essential values. Some values, traditions and opinions need to be discarded outright because they are serving no good. Others have to stay where they are. What was relevant four decades ago may not have the same relevance today. Why is that generation so caught up in what others will think? When others clearly are leading their own lives which are too busy to deeply think about what's going on in yours? If something feels right to you, how does it matter what your neighbor or relative thinks? When they aren't with you in your times of trouble?
For most parents, children will always remain children. I would like to think this idea is very dogged. On one had you want children to be independent and responsible human beings and on the other hand you treat them as children who are incapable of making their own decisions. How old is old enough? When do you know that you have to let go? Why is letting go so excruciatingly difficult? Why must you feel the need to control every move of your child when your child has never given you an opportunity to distrust his or her doings? When they have always acted beyond their age in terms of maturity? When they have always been submissive and never shown one instance of bad judgement? When can you trust your children to make their own decisions? Right from what clothes they can buy to who they can marry?
Have you noticed how the things that appeal to you now, continue to appeal to you even when you grow up? The music you heard, the food you ate, the movies you grew up on, the values that you were brought up with? With age, there comes a reluctance to accept anything new. You will still stick to what you like best and not explore the new. No harm in doing that. But the problem arises when you want your children to adhere to what you think is best too. No deviations allowed. Has the realization ever dawned how stifling and suffocating it can become for the child?
Alright, and why such morbidity and parenting talk, when I haven't even been there and done that? Let's just say I wish to leave that unanswered :-) Just random thoughts which wouldn't settle down until "probably" they were put down in words.

5 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
EXPECTING MORE FROM SOMEONE, THAN THEY ARE, ONLY MAKES THEM LESS THAN THEY ARE.
If a parent knows they did the best they knew how, letting go should be no problem, they should have faith in themselves and their child. Teach them at a young age to make good choices, then let them choose, it's their life.
I would want my children to return to me(for whatever reason), because they want to, not because they have to.
Just love the way you want to be loved!
♥...Wanda
It is so tragic when parents do not delight in the people that there children ARE, and try to recreate them ...You are a beautiful person...these are not morbid thoughts...simply authentic and real questions...And I love you for it...I'm so glad to know you! Love, Janine XO
Hi Tranquility,
This has always been a bit of a struggle for me. Actually believing that my children are who they are and do what they do because they are their own person. I try not to blame myself for things that they do which make me less than happy with them. I know that I can only take them so far and then the rest is up to them yet it's difficult not to want to mother them without smothering them! I have learned to butt out of their lives, however difficult that has been! As for the right age or time to let them be their own person, I guess that was when they moved out. I figure if they can take care of themselves then I did my job and unless asked for my advice or opinion they are capable of being their own person. Katie, being only 15 stills needs work! Thank you for the Birthday wishes! Love Di ♥
Tranquility,
Read 2 posts now. Both are to my heart. I had written some time ago " HAPPINESS IS IN YOUR HANDS" and one on Children Parents Relationship. Both echo exactly what you say. After certain age you have to be more of a friend than parent to your children. Do read those if you find time. Also we need to keep changing norms of society with time but it should be for benefit of all and not just one person or small group only. We must evaluate what we need to change to see if we would accept what we want if our offsprings do the same.
Take care
WANDA: Which are such wise thoughts Wanda! I absolutely love your say on things and the deep insight you always offer. Thank you!
JANINE: Thanks you for being so supportive. When I wrote all this, I was down in the dumps. Your encouragement was uplifting :-)
DIANA: I totally understand your perspective. You aren't wrong at all. After all you've given birth to them, and would always want the best for them and to keep them from the harm they don't forsee. Your point of view is pretty valid!
JACK: Thanks you SO MUCH for the appreciation. I agree with you when you say that what needs to be changed must be carefully evaluated and that the benchmark is whether we can accept if our offspring were to do what we want to do or not!
Post a Comment