As you grow older...
The songs you always heard as a child begin to mean much more than they did back then. It's as if you were hearing them, but not really listening.
You actually begin to put others first and discover that you've a reservoir of empathy in you.
You feel more deeply than you did back then.
You think more than you did back then. (And catch yourself thinking why you are turning into a chronic thinker)
You find that your body isn't as agile as it was way back then. You feel it cry out for attention and care. Body parts you didn't know existed ache. And obviously it frightens you.
When you were still in school or college you longed to work and be a part of the clan of working professionals. Now that you are there, you long to take a long vacation where work isn't on your list of things to do.
You realize that if you aren't satisfied with what's being given to you now, you won't be satisfied even when you reach "there" and achieve "that".
You actually start paying attention to those anti-ageing creams advertisements. You weight suddenly begins to bother you.
Weekends are cherished no end. Because it means putting your feet up and doing what makes your soul happy. If it helps, doing nothing. Which has remained the same though. Holidays were always cherished. But the difference is you now want them in moderation. Because you realize the hazards of excess. Excess of anything.
You want to make a difference and raise a voice every now and then. Sometimes the world around pays heed to it. Sometimes your voice just drowns.
If out of the blue someone asks you to list the things that make you happy, it gets you thinking- deep and hard. Because you've never paid attention to your own happiness. You've drifted with the flow seeking those moments where things fall into your scheme of things thus making you happy. You realize there is more to happiness than that.
You critically examine yourself and for the first time see yourself with lots of faults. Which you want to rectify overnight.
You suddenly realize that the list of things you want to do before you die, is growing. And not much is being struck off.
You realize that inner peace is what you need the most. Peace=Love= Wisdom= Happiness.
You suddenly want to undo the hurt you've caused to all and sundry. As if it's your last day on earth.
You want to be a good human being. One that is capable of unconditional love and forgiveness.
And then.... after churning out meaningless and boring thoughts like those above...you realize that..


10 people were gracious enough to leave comments:
Oh, this is fabulous, Tranquility! I love the thoughts you share here...So inspirational, and so true! You are very wise...Love you, Janine XO
Tranquility,
Process of growing older and changing of outlook very nicely put in words. You left out what you go through or experience when you have children and then grandchildren. That is an growing process in itself.
Take care
All so true Tranquility, I've said that if only we could keep our youthful bodies with our maturity, how great that would be! Love Di ♥
I think with age, there is greater appreciation and contentment.
If I knew then, what I know now, I may have done a few things differently, but I don't have any regrets!
I think of you as very young, Stillness, but every now and then, I think...no she's older. You keep us guessing...but you are wise, for any age!
Thank you for the very sweet comment I found this morning!
♥...Wanda
You know sweetie everything you have said here is true but I do not mind growing older at all, I have had and continue to have a full life filled with such contentment and more importantly love.....the most important of all.
May you always gain wisdom and forever be loved.......:-) Hugs
Oodles of wisdom here! Wow, you put some serious thought into this topic of aging. The outlook definitely shifts and I am actually curious to know how much more it will blossom and grow in the years ahead! You put together some real gems here, great job!
Lol!
The picture took the cake! :)
Aaahhhhh...plz don't add to the woes, though the song one was good.
Anti-ageing cream...arrrghhhh...I need to get out from here before I cry!
;p
JANINE: Thank you so much! Didn't know my random amblings made sense let alone sound wise. Gee. Thanks :D
JACK: I left that part out on purpose. And that's because neither do I have children nor grandchildren :)
DIANA: That sure would be a heady mix. Which inspires me to hit the gym tomorrow!
WANDA: Thank you for the compliment. I am on the wrong side of my twenties, so yeah old enough. Make that really old!
BERNIE: I've no regrets either, and yeah I am growing old too. And thank u so much for the love and blessings. You're a sweetheart :)
VICKY:Why thank you so much! Just my state of mind at the time of writing. If you could see me, you'd see how big a smile I've on my face :)
SPARKLING: When I read this piece again, I felt like running away too. I think exercise should take care of everything. Why use creams. Hmm.
For some reason, I've chosen to ignore the anti-aging creams and hair colorings. I'm not sure what this says about me. There ARE a few things about growing older that aren't "fun", but for the most part, I am happy to be where I am - just figuring out how to spend the time I have left on earth well....I DON'T feel grown up.
REBECCA: Welcome to my blog! It's so good to have you here. And honestly you look graceful and elegant enough to never need anti-ageing creams! Age is a state of the mind they say :-)
Thank you so much for visiting me and taking the time to leave your kind comment :)
Post a Comment